Did you finally switch from Windows PC to Mac? We all hesitate to switch from an older device because of the comfort that’s built up. Not only this but sometimes you’re too lazy to transfer all your data to a new device.
Switching platforms doesn’t require you to start all over again. You can still find comfort in using those old files with the help of a service named ‘Windows Migration Assistant.’ It’s a free utility offered by Apple that enables you to transfer all your data from a Windows PC to your new Mac.
Before getting started, you need to know the meaning of the Migration Assistant. It comes included in the Utilities folder of every Mac. You’ll first encounter the same when you set up a new Mac, and the system asks you to transfer your data from another system.
The best part is using the app free of cost; however, you’ll require software depending upon the operating system you’re transferring to. All you need to do is download the Migration Assistant software, and you’re all set to transfer.
Notably, the software helps you transfer data from a PC running Windows 7, 8, and 10. Not only this but both the systems, PC and the Mac, needs to be running the Migration Assistant software. Both need to be connected to the same internet connection to be able to locate each other easily.
The data transferring activity also depends upon the version of your Windows PC and the programs used to create the data. For instance, bookmarks made in the browser like Chrome and Firefox will get transferred to Safari. On the other hand, contacts, Email, and Calendar information play a tricky role.
Things You Need to Do Before Performing Data Transfer from PC to Mac
Don’t get too excited about transferring your data from PC to Mac. There are a few things you need to do before you start the transfer process. Follow the instructions mentioned below:
- It is essential to have administrative account details associated with the PC.
- Connect the two systems with the same network, either Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
- Perform a drive performance check before running the software.
The steps to perform the drive performance check are:
- Tap on the ‘Start’ button.
- Type ‘Run’ in the search box and click on the desired result.
- Type ‘cmd’ in the given space.
- Hit the ‘Enter’ button.
- A Command window will open. Type ‘chkdsk’ in the given space.
- Click on the ‘Enter’ button.
If any issues come up after performing the drive performance check, follow the steps mentioned below to run a drive repair process:
- Type ‘chkdsk drive:/F’ in the Command window.
- Hit the ‘Enter’ button.
- Press the ‘Y’ key on your keyboard when prompted.
- Shut down your PC and restart.
Note: Repeat the steps for the drive repair process until the drive performance check stops coming up with issues. Further, you can start transferring data from a PC to Mac.
How to Transfer Data from PC to Mac?
The steps for transferring data from PC to Mac are:
On your Mac
- Open the Finder window on your new Mac.
- Select the ‘Applications’ tab from the sidebar.
- Double-click on the ‘Utilities Folder.’
- Tap on the ‘Migration Assistant’ option.
- Hit the ‘Continue’ button.
- A new window will open, asking you to select how you want to transfer your data. Select the ‘From a PC’ option.
- Click on the ‘Continue’ option.
On your PC
- Download the Migration Assistant software on your PC.
- Launch the software, and a security code will appear on the screen.
Note: Using Migration Assistant on a PC is a one-way trip, meaning that you can only transfer data from PC to Mac.
- Give confirmation that the code reflected on both the devices is the same.
- Select the files and folders you want to transfer and click on the ‘Continue’ button.
This is it! There are many other methods that you can use to transfer data between your PC and a Mac. However, using the Migration Assistant software is considered to be one of the simplest methods. Also, it is free to use, so it is a convenient option for many people.
Have you recently switched platforms? Do not worry about losing your data. Now that you’re familiar with using the Migration Assistant software, losing data should be the least of your concerns.
Source :- https://mywebrootsafe.merater.com/a-guide-on-transferring-your-data-from-windows-pc-to-mac/
Daisy Martin is a qualified IT engineer by education. After working in the IT sector for a decade, she began writing about it two years ago. She loves to write about emerging technology like webroot.com/safe