A ruby is a gemstone which is bright red, blood red or pinkish red in colour. It is one of the most famous gemstones all over the world. Even big personalities prefer to wear jewellery consisting of ruby gemstones. The word ‘ruby’ has been derived from the Latin word ‘ruber’ which means ‘red’. It is red in colour because of the presence of an element called chromium.
Let us now look at some of the facts about the ruby gemstone.
- Ruby was first discovered in the Mogok region of Myanmar around 2500 BC ago.
- As already mentioned, the word has been derived from the Latin word ‘ruber’ which means ‘red’.
- If you look at the history, you will find out that people used to prefer ruby over diamonds because this gemstone is rare and has healing properties.
- These healing properties have been described in religious texts like the Bible and ancient Sanskrit.
- Ruby is known as the King of Gemstones because of its healing powers.
- According to different mythologies, out of the 12 stones, this gemstone is the most precious.
- It is the birthstone for the zodiac signs Cancer and Leo.
- If you gift ruby jewellery to someone, such as ruby bracelets, it will symbolise pure love, vitality and wealth.
Care & Maintenance
- Do not use vinegar and chemicals similar to it to clean ruby.
- Clean it properly with a soft and damp cloth.
- At times, take it to the store for cleaning and polishing, if you want to keep its shine intact.
Scroll down the below infographics to learn more about the July Birthstone- Ruby Gemstone:-
A piece of ruby jewellery such as a ring or a necklace is perfect for a Valentine’s Day gift. AG & Sons is an online jewellery brand that offers different types of gemstone jewellery including ruby eternity rings, necklaces, bracelets and engagement rings all over the UK (Engagement Rings UK).