Biocides For Leather Industry Overview
The global biocides for leather market size is expected to reach USD 691.8 million by 2028, as per the new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The market is projected to expand at a volume-based CAGR of 3.6% from 2021 to 2028. The market is driven by evolving consumer lifestyle coupled with rising disposable income is expected to drive the demand for biocides in leather production over the forecast period.
Biocides For Leather Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global biocides for leather market on the basis of product type, process, and region:
Based on the Product Type Insights, the market is segmented into Bactericides, Fungicides.
- The fungicides product type segment dominated the market and accounted for the largest share of 88.2% in 2020. This high share is attributable to good performance even at fewer dosages and is to be useful in controlling bacteria and fungi in tanneries.
- Biocides are increasingly being used as fungicides and bactericides to avoid the buildup of fungi, bacteria, and other microbes during several important steps such as soaking, pickling, tanning, cleansing, and finishing in the leather production process.
- Several research studies have been conducted for developing plant-based fungicides as a replacement for hazardous chemical biocides for application in the leather industry.
- Biocides such as bactericides are generally used in tanning processes to protect the substrate against bacterial growth and attack. Bactericides are often used in the tannery for the preservation of soaking rather than curing the hides. Didecyldimethylammonium chloride, a quaternary ammonium salt, is biodegradable and exhibits low toxicity.
Based on the Process Insights, the market is segmented into Curing, Tanning & Dyeing, Beamhouse, Finishing.
- The tanning and dyeing process segment dominated the market and accounted for the highest volumetric share of 49.7% in 2020. This high share is attributable to the major use of the bactericides in the tanning process in order to protect the substrate against bacterial growth and attack.
- Biocides applied in tanning applications are non-oxidizing biocides, such as isothiazoles, quaternary ammonium compounds, and halogenated organic compounds, in an amount of about 0.1 to 0.5% by mass of rawhide.
- Biocides are often found in wastewater, left out after the tanning process, which is usually flushed down by leather manufacturers to the nearby water bodies leading to an increase in toxicity levels.
- The beamhouse operations have the second-largest share in the biocide industry involved in the preparation of hides for tanning processes. It involves cleaning of hides by removal of hairs and animal flesh, without disturbing the required moisture content of hides. It involves two processes namely soaking and liming.
Biocides For Leather Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
Continuous increase in stringent regulations related to chemicals production in several countries specifically in North America and Europe regions has resulted in added manufacturing costs as it is very expensive to get fungicides approved by regulatory agencies and it takes a long time to complete the required testing.
Some prominent players in the global biocides for leather market include
- Lanxess AG
- Buckman Laboratories International, Inc.
- Vink Chemicals GmbH & Co. KG
- Troy Corporation
- DuPont de Nemours, Inc.
Order a free sample PDF of the Biocides For Leather Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519