It doesn’t come as a surprise that root canals are one of the most feared dental procedures. However, if your dentist has advised that you need a root canal, you probably have some form of infection or severe decay that should be removed to save the tooth.
Once removed, the dentist seals the tooth with a crown and allows healing. Quite often, patients report that their tooth pain has increased after the procedure. The best root canal dentist in Dubai should supply you with the much-needed information on how to care for your teeth after the procedure.
The reason patients are concerned about the post-procedure recovery period is due to the nature of the procedure a patient may experience a bit of discomfort later on. However, symptoms of discomfort do not last for long and can be treated with medication. It is essential that you follow all the instructions given by the root canal dentist.
Here are some tips that you can follow after your root canal procedure:
- Take pain medication
- The effects of the anesthesia don't last long after the treatment. Therefore, a dose of pain medication as instructed by the root canal dentist can help in reducing discomfort.
- Avoid eating certain foods.
- The patients of root canal treatments are often told to avoid certain food types. The risk posed by crunchy and sticky foods like popcorns is that these can knock out of place any temporary materials used to repair a tooth. Also, when eating, use opposing teeth to chew.
- Keep an eye on the swelling.
- It is quite common for swelling to occur in the area where the treatment was performed. It is an indication that healing has begun. However, if you notice excessive swelling, it is better to visit your dentist as soon as possible. Also remember, avoid anything that will increase in inflammation, such as smoking, and drinking hot beverages.
- Rinse mouth with a warm salt-water solution
- Rinsing the mouth with warm salt water is one of the highly recommended methods to minimize the risk of infection, especially after a root canal treatment.
- Guard your teeth
- Do not put pressure on your infected tooth. If you have a habit of grinding your teeth or clenching, it is best to purchase a mouth guard to protect your tender mouth.
- Use a Cold Compress
- Apply a cold compress to the area for the first few days to help with swelling. Ten or twenty minutes a session for a few times throughout the day can help in recovery.
- Give yourself time to heal.
- Take the time following a dental surgical procedure to heal and not promptly start with the work responsibilities. It is best if you also avoid any strenuous activity for a few days after the procedure.
Taking good care of yourself after the root canal treatment is essential for a speedy recovery so that you can carry on with your daily routine as soon as possible. The tips offered above can assist you to minimize discomfort, but should you have any concerns, contact the best root canal dentist in Dubai.