Windows 10 has several new features with the latest advanced security; however, viruses and malware are infecting Windows 10 system already. Windows 10 users are facing a new security flaw in the system that is stated to create several problems in the PC. If you are using Windows 10, then you can also be affected by the malware just by downloading a single file. File explorer does not ask to open it because it previews the file automatically. Windows 7 also faced a similar issue that troubled the users a lot.
What Kind of Malware is this?
Microsoft officially announced on 23 March 2020 about the security hole, and they said that they are fully aware of the virus and how it works. This malware is attacking specific targets like Adobe Manager. This specific malware can attack through multiple ways and damage some valuable files and documents from the system. Opening extra designed documents for preview without any command is what this malware does.
This flaw is affecting every version of Windows in which Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 users are included. The users of Windows 7 might face the problem a little longer because there will no security update available. Microsoft is working on fixing the issue, the statement given by one of the spokesmen of the company. They might fix the issue until their next security patch that will release on 14 April 2020.
How to Secure PC from Malware
In order to solve the issue of opening automatically previewing because of flow, you need to disable the preview and also the details panes from file explorer. If you disable the preview function, then it will not automatically preview the OTF file and will keep your system secure.
The virus will not risk your computer if you simply open the file, but if you open any malicious file, then your system can fall into risks. To protect your PC, you need to go into File Explorer and tap on the “View“option in the above bar.
- In the “View” there is preview pane, and display pane options are available. All you need to do is turn them off to stop opening the file automatically.
- Now tap on the “Options” button on the right side of the ribbon bar.
- Press on the “View” option tab.
- In the sections of “advanced settings” enable the “always show icons, never thumbnails” column.
- After you are done, tap on the “OK” icon to save your modifications.
- Close your tabs and restart your PC to apply new changes and to sync your computer with new settings.
For the Windows 7 users, things are the same, but the options are placed in a different way.
- Tap on the “organize” option > Layout and then use options in the menu for disabling the details pane and also the preview pane.
- Tap on the “organize” option > “Folder and search options” for the options window.
- Activate “Always show icons, never thumbnails” section at the place.
From this procedure, your PC will be safe at some level, and it is necessary if you are facing the issue. Until the security patch releases, you need to keep this option as it is to save from further malware attacks. After the security patch releases, you can again activate those options that you disabled, but in Windows 7, you don’t need to change it again because you will not get any new updates.
Elina John is a self-professed security expert; she has been making the people aware of the security threats. Her passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. She writes for Mcafee security products at mcafee.com/activate.