Overview: If you want to import MBOX file to Gmail and have no idea how to do it? Then you arrived on the right page. In this blog, I will explain the whole process more easily.
It is well known that Google doesn’t provide the backups within the Gmail service, there is a process to transport an offline copy of your Gmail data to a local file. As Gmail permits its users to transport the entire Google data through the Download your data function present in the Google account settings. In the case of Gmail, the “Download your data” option will download the file in the MBOX format.
Although, there is no direct approach available via Google account settings to import MBOX to Gmail account. Users have to prefer or opt for the indirect method. In case, users want to try another method that can be more fast and rapid then they can use the alternative solution i.e MBOX to Gmail wizard.
Now, you have an idea about the topic, let's move towards the procedures.
Import MBOX file to Gmail by using the Manual Approach:
Step 1. Transport MBOX from Gmail
Users transport the MBOX archive of Gmail data from the Google account is found under the Google account settings right from within the Google account web interface. To get to the administrative interface user has to download the Google account data by following these steps:
1. First, log in to the Google account (Login to Gmail, etc)
2. Then, browse to https://myaccount.google.com/
3. Tap on the Data & personalization menu.
4. Tap on Download your data.
Extracting MBOX files from Gmail Account:
- In case, you only want Gmail data then, select the Deselect all at the top of the interface, then scroll to Mail and choose the checkbox.
- There is only one format of the MBOX format that automatically bears for transporting the Gmail. That automatically will pick all Mail data included.
- Now, tap on the box and customize the folders that are transported (Drafts, Inbox, Junk Email, sent, etc.)
- Once you pick the Mail and the folders of your choice to export, scroll down to the lowest of the page and choose the Next Step.
- Then, the user will get the options for generating the archive. Some of them are the file type and archive size. Now, the process will automatically generate the MBOX archive file inside a .zip file and is available to download.
- Normally, the archive size limit is up to 2 GB. This archive files fragmented at the 2 GB mark into different files.
- Once the options are verified then the Archive progress initiates. Here, users will experience that large amounts of data take time, or days to create. After the completion of the archive, users will get archives through the web interface ready for download.
- Lastly, the download link will download the .zip archive that comprises the MBOX file(s). After downloading and extracting users will be offered a folder structure.
Step 2. Setup Mozilla Thunderbird and the ImportExportTools Add-On
As the users have generated the MBOX file, downloaded, and extracted. Now, it is time to download Mozilla Thunderbird and the ImportExportTools add-on to process the MBOX file. It will permit importing the MBOX to Gmail or extracting it to a local folder.
For you Information, Mozilla Thunderbird is free to download and is accessible here: https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/download/
- After the Thunderbird installed, visit Tools > Add-Ons to install the ImportExportTools add-on.
Note – If the user doesn't see the Tools menu, tap on the ALT button on the keyboard to show it. When the users are in the Add-Ons screen, tap on Extensions and navigate for the “ImportExportTools” add-on. Next, Tap to install it in Thunderbird.
- The Add-On installation will restart Thunderbird after it is done. Once the Thunderbird restarts, generate a new folder in the Local Folders node. In the bottom of the Local Folder node, there is a “TestMboxImport” folder. Then, right-tap and select ImportExportTools > Import Mbox file.
- Now, the Files Mbox import dialog box will be open. Users are allowed to select the import way. To import to a folder select the first option i.e Import one or more Mbox files works. Other options can also operate the import of the MBOX files very well.
- Now, Browse to the location to extract the downloaded the unzipped MBOX file and select it. After selecting the downloaded and extracted MBOX file, users will get the emails downloaded from Gmail in the new folder that was created.
This was the manual approach by which users can import MBOX file to Gmail. Although it is free to use, the application still consumes a lot of time from the consumers. Hence it is advised for the users to use the alternative solution as it will easily import the user’s MBOX files into Gmail.
Users can use the MBOX Exporter that allows its users to import MBOX files to Gmail, Yahoo, IMAP, and Thunderbird. The utility is highly compatible with Windows 10 and its previous versions.
This blog includes all the information to upload MBOX to Gmail. Users can use this to transport their files to Gmail. Or if they didn’t want to use the manual procedure then they can opt for the MBOX to Gmail wizard i.e alternative solution. The alternative solution is easy to use and also saves a lot of time.