After deciding the destination and mode of travel for a vacation, the next step is to find the right accommodation. Finding good accommodation is an important aspect of travel because the place you stay can elevate your vacation experience, or ruin it. Going through all the options available online and shortlisting them can be a daunting and exhausting task. And so, we have decided to make things a little bit easier for you.
Here are six important things to consider when booking accommodation for your next vacation –
- Your travel budget is a crucial factor to consider when looking for accommodation during a vacation. Before making a booking think about the fraction of your budget that you want to spend on the hotel bill. Choose the best option by comparing all the available accommodations to get the best value for your money.
- If you wish to plan a vacation without putting a burden on your finance for travel, consider taking a personal loan for travel. Travel loans are a great way to plan a good vacation while staying within the budget.
- Travelling Companions
- The best option for accommodation also varies according to the travel partner you choose to vacation with. If you are traveling with family or with your spouse, a hotel room is the most suitable option. When traveling with friends explore options such as a hostel or a dorm room where you can all stay together.
- This is an important factor when looking for the right accommodation. Every place has its positives and negatives. Find the place which gives you facilities and conveniences according to your needs. Check hotel websites or travel booking engines for pictures and details of the facilities and amenities provided by the hotel.
- Cancellation Policies
- One of the tasks that we overlook before booking accommodation is a review of the cancellation policy. Some places offer the option for cancellation with a full refund, others refund a part of your payment, and many others offer little or no refunds on cancellation. Therefore, make sure to read the cancellation policy of your accommodation carefully before booking.
- Hidden Charges
- When booking a place to stay be cautious about hidden charges that you may be required to pay. Read the fine print to understand the corresponding charges for facilities like airport pick-up and drop off, extra bedding, mini-bar items, etc. You will find that just being cautious about hidden charges can save you from a lot of unnecessary expenditure.
- After finding the accommodation that promises the comforts and conveniences you wish to have, and analyzing the pricing, the next thing to do is to read through the reviews written by other tourists who have stayed there earlier. Look for a place that has mostly good reviews and a reasonably good rating.
Finding good accommodation is a difficult task, but as long as you know what you are looking for and you use the available online tools and services carefully – you can be sure to find a great place to stay for your vacation.
Shiv Nanda is a financial analyst who currently lives in Bangalore (refusing to acknowledge the name change) and works with MoneyTap, India's first app-based credit-line. Shiv is a true finance geek, and his friends love that. They always rely on him for advice on their investment choices, budgeting skills, personal financial matters, and when they want to get a loan. He has made it his life's mission to help and educate people on various financial topics, so email him your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.