Your skin is what helps protect your body from the outside from infections and diseases. Many skin clinics in Melbourne and around the country promote ways and means of keeping your skin healthy and looking good, as well as providing skin treatment in Melbourne, and elsewhere, to address certain conditions of the skin, such as acne, eczema, and skin cancer.
In addition to being your body’s protector, did you know that there are many interesting facts about your skin that you may not know? For example, did you know that,
- Your skin is the largest organ in your body.
- An average person has three hundred million skin cells.
- Your skin renews every 28 days (like a snake that sheds its skin!).
- The skin sheds 30,000-40,000 dead cells every minute, and dead cells amount to about one billion tonnes of dust in the Earth’s atmosphere.
- There are over 1,000 species of bacteria on your skin.
- Your skin has at least 5 different types of receptors that respond to sensations such as pain and touch.
- Changes in your skin may be signs of more underlying serious conditions in your health.
- Your skin has varying levels of thickness, and the thickest part of your skin is on your feet.
- Your skin ages at 20 years (oh no!!!).
- Your skin has three different layers, namely the epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis.
- The skin helps regulate your body’s temperature.
- Your skin constitutes 15% of your total body weight.
- Your skin can respond negatively to stress.
- An average adult’s skin can stretch out to 21 square feet.
- Your skin can expend as much as three gallons of sweat in a day!
- The skin on your legs may be the driest part of your body.