In this article, we will discuss the ways with the help of which you can check the Apple M1 compatibility for your Mac Apps. Apple has recently introduced new Apple M1 chip-powered MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac mini models. This software, however, still has to match the level of the hardware. The majority of Mac applications made on Intel’s x86 architecture cannot run on the latest M1 chip-powered Macs.
So, make sure to check the app compatibility of your extensively used applications before you switch. Below we have mentioned the steps with which you can check the Apple M1 compatibility of the applications on your Mac.
Check Apple M1 Compatibility for Your Mac Apps
Apple has already introduced two transitions in the past, thereby making this the third rodeo. No doubt, the company might have been preparing for this one for a while.
The Intel apps usually don’t run on Apple M1 Macs, which is why Apple has introduced a new built-in translation layer named Rosetta 2 that lets the individuals run those applications designed for the Intel chips.
As the applications cannot run correctly, the reports suggest that the M1 chip of Apple is so robust that the users will not see any significant difference in the working of the majority of the applications.
This is an outstanding achievement for Apple, and it should not be taken lightly. Windows on ARM has significantly failed till now, and this shows how much work Apple has laid out for this transition to happen. Still, you might face some issues while using resource-heavy applications. So, we recommend you to check your apps’ compatibility before you go for the M1 chip-powered Macs.
Check App Compatibility Before Purchasing the Apple M1 Mac
Below we have mentioned the steps with which you can check the compatibility of your applications:
- First, you need to go to the “https://isapplesiliconready.com/.”
- A list of M1-chip compatible applications will appear, among which you can check for the required app.
- You can also type the name of a specific application to check for it.
- You will be able to get details about the compatibility of that particular app. Alongside that, you will be able to see how the incompatible applications are behaving on Rosetta 2.
- The symbols beside the apps will show you the current working status of the applications.
Check App Compatible on Apple M1 Mac
In case you have already opted for an M1 chip-powered Mac, you may follow the below-mentioned steps to know if your applications are running on Rosetta 2 and which are running natively.
- You need to download the “Silicon” app. It is an open-source, free app, for which you don’t have to pay any price.
- Then install the app by opening the downloaded file.
- You need to grant it permissions by clicking on “Open.”
- In case you see a pending update, then install it.
- Further, press the “Start Scanning” button. Doing this will let the Silicon application figure out every app.
- Since I am on an old Intel Mac that is not running any universal app, you can see that all the apps are compatible with Intel only.
- You will be shown a list in which the status of all the applications can be viewed. You can see some apps having a “Universal” status, and in some, only “Intel” can be seen.
- The apps that are using a Rosetta 2 translation layer are the Intel-only apps.
So, this was all about how you can check the Apple M1 compatibility for your apps. This article discusses two different ways to accomplish the task of identification. The first method is for those who plan to go for the Apple M1 Mac and depend on the app compatibility. The second method is for the individuals who have already opted for the Apple M1 Mac and now want to check out the applications that are running on Rosetta 2.