It’s always a good idea to perform a clean install of your device’s OS to experience something better. In case you have a Mac and want to experience a smooth performance, then it is recommended to perform a clean install of macOS Big Sur on your device. The process might seem somewhat tricky as it requires downloading the Big Sur installer and then creating a bootable USB, but don’t worry as we are here to provide you the necessary steps via this post.
Here are the straightforward guidelines to follow for performing a clean install of your Big Sur on Mac:
Backing up the Mac
First and foremost, it is necessary to take a backup of all your important data and files in a safe location like an external hard drive or cloud-based programs such as OneDrive, Dropbox, and iCloud.
Downloading Big Sur Installer
You can easily download the installer for your Big Sur macOS directly from the Mac’s App Store.
You can access your installer by following these steps:
- First, go to the Apple menu.
- Then, tap the option About This Mac.
- Click the Software Update option.
Creating a Bootable Drive of macOS Big Sur
Initially, you need to download macOS Big Sur directly from the App Store of your Mac. In case you don’t have a compatible bootable drive for your Mac, you may have to install an earlier edition of Mac OS first and then upgrade the same to macOS for better performance.
Erasing Hard Drive
Here is how to erase the entire data located on the hard drive on your device:
- At the start, connect the Mac to the internet source through Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
- Then, hit the Apple icon there.
- Locate and tap the Restart button by navigating the pull drop menu.
- Now, hold down two different keys: cmd and R once you listen to the startup sound. Keep holding both the keys until your Mac reboots.
- Then, hit the Disk Utility option from the utility selector of OS X.
- Now, press the Continue tab there.
- After that, reach the Startup Disk and tap on it.
- Hit the Erase button from the upper edge of your screen.
- Type a particular name for your file to be destroyed.
- In case the Mac is using HFS+, then choose the option Mac OS Extended from the format listing. If the Mac is using APFS, then choose the APFS from the format listing.
- Choose the option GUID Partition Map if the Scheme is available.
- Hit the Erase tab now.
Clean Installing macOS 11 Big Sur
- Firstly, restart the device and hold down the Options tab.
- Now, return to the primary screen of your Mac related to Disk Utility.
- Then, select the relevant option to install macOS directly from your synced USB drive.
- Hit the tab “Install macOS” to verify your decision.
- Wait for the process to complete.
Reinstalling a New Copy of Big Sur
Follow these steps to reinstall a fresh copy of macOS Big Sur:
- At the start, hit the option Reinstall a new copy of macOS.
- Then, press the Continue button there.
- Press the Continue tab once more when the installer window comes into view.
- Now, agree to the terms and conditions of the program.
- Choose the hard drive.
- Then, press the Install tab there.
- Follow all the on-screen directions carefully for easy installation.
A clean installation is always recommended for a better & smooth performance of an OS. Before going through this procedure, it is advised to take a full backup of all your necessary files and data. To perform a clean install, erase the hard disk and reinstall a fresh copy of the desired OS (Big Sur.)