DDS stands for Direct Draw Surface: an image file format established by Microsoft using DirectX 7.0. It was launched as a container file format, especially for raster photos and images with several compressed or decompressed pixels.
The File format is used for storing game maps and graphics textures. DDS is not widely renowned and supported file formats, but if you have the file and want to know the process of opening the same, then you are most welcome to this post. You need to utilize a dedicated program to launch the DDS file. You can use Photoshop if you want to do some editing.
Here, we will guide you to open DDS file formats on your Windows 10 device:
Opening DDS File Using NVIDIA Texture Tools Plugin to Photoshop
Follow these straightforward steps if you want to add an NVIDIA texture tools Plug-in page to launch your DDS file:
- First and foremost, go to the NVIDIA Texture Tools page and then hit the Download button to download the NVIDIA utilities.
- Select your operating system version.
- Hit the installer related to Photoshop_Plugin to install its related plug-ins.
- Once the plug-ins are successfully installed on your computer, try to open Photoshop and then tap on Filter.
- Choose NvTools and then hit the NormalMapFilter option to launch the respective window. The window will consist of several options related to DDS files to launch the same in Photoshop.
Using DDS Viewer
Here are the steps to know how to use DDS Viewer to open the respective DDS file:
- Get started by downloading the DDS Viewer using the DDS Download page.
- Once the Viewer downloads successfully, launch the installer to enable the software to get installed.
- After that, open the DDS Viewer program on your device.
- Next, choose a particular DDS file on your expanded window.
- After that, hit the Open option.
- Now, resize the file by typing alternative values into the Height and Width boxes, followed by tapping the green-colored check tab.
- Hit the Rotate Image Left or Right tabs to rotate your DDS file.
Converting Your DDS File to PNG
You can easily open your DDS file by transforming the same into a PNG file format. To know the steps, follow these instructions:
- First and foremost, launch a file conversion program on your device using a web browser.
- Then, hit the Choose Files option there to select the DDS file for the file conversion process.
- After that, hit the PNG option from the Target format menu if it’s not selected in advance.
- Now, tap on Convert Now option.
- Hit the Save tab to download your new PNG image.
Using File Viewer Plus
To open the DDS file on your device, you can use File Viewer Plus: a universal tool for opening files. It will work conveniently with your Windows 10 operating system.
- Install the program on your device and then launch the same.
- Now, choose your DDS file and try to open it.
Note: You can make several customizations to your DDS file using editing options.
As that you know how to open DDS files using several options like DDS Viewer, File Viewer Plus, converting files to PNG, adding NVIDIA Texture Tools Plug-ins, then Open the respective software and select the DDS file. Tap the open button to launch your file.
Hi, this is Elisa Wilson , a tech-savvy from the Canadian province, Alberta. I am a computer science graduate who is currently working as a tech research analyst at Kforce Technologies. Alongside providing detailed info-graphics to studies in question, I also create instruction manuals and troubleshooting guides as per the client’s requirement. Recently, I have created a Roku activation guide, and here’s the link you need to follow: roku.com/link.