Summer is a time full of storms with a strong incidence of lightning and electrical discharges, which makes electronic device owners concerned. After all, many myths spread about the use of computers, televisions, cell phones and other devices during a strong storm.
According to data from the National Institute for Space Research (Inpe), Brazil is affected annually by more than 100 million rays, being the champion country in the incidence of this phenomenon in the world. These discharges cause several material damages due to the overload of the electric network and even dozens of deaths and serious injuries, such as burns. Therefore, it is necessary to be very attentive on the street or at home when a strong storm is approaching.
Technicians are well-versed with the brass tacks of the services/products, which they provide support for. If IT Technicians are unable to resolve a problem, it is escalated to the senior team.
Dangers at home
In homes, the most common types of problems arising from lightning strikes are precisely related to the use of electronics. Although electrical discharges do not usually reach a protected person inside the home, they can arrive via electrical or telephone installations. This usually happens when the electrical network is struck by lightning, causing the wiring voltage to increase and generate an overload in the system.
Although it does not act directly on the protected individual in his home, a real danger is the electric shock reaching a person using these electronics. The most common cases occur when the victim is talking on a corded telephone and a pole or network is hit by the electrical discharge, which spreads through the telephone line. In addition, high voltage can come from devices connected to the power grid, such as cell phones on the charger.
The most common problems resulting from overloading the power grid, however, are damage to electronic products. For this reason, it is recommended to always turn off the appliances when an intense storm is approaching, as the variation in electrical energy can cause your TV, computer or even cell phone to burn.