We all wish for simpler things in life, like imagining, that you could turn off the lights without getting out of bed. Have you ever paid attention to the magic your iPhone could do? You’ll be amazed to know that you can instantly mute your iphone by tapping at its back.
Are you surprised? Notably, if you’re running the new iOS 14 version on your iPhone 8 or newer, it’ll take a few steps, and you’re all set to mute your phone in two to three taps. The credit goes to the new feature ‘Back Tap’ and a shortcut that needs to be customized to use the feature.
Do you want to know more and set it up on your iPhone? Here’s what you need to know.
How to Set Up the ‘Back Tap’ Feature?
Before you set up the ‘Back Tap’ feature on your iPhone in the Settings menu, you’ll have to create a shortcut to mute your phone in two to three taps. To save time, you may download a shortcut from some source, and do the same, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Locate the ‘Shortcuts’ tab and click on the same.
- Turn the slider on for the ‘Allow Untrusted Shortcuts’ option.
Note: Allow the shortcut to be downloaded only you’re getting it from a trusted source. Once it gets downloaded, disable the option.
- Next, visit the link from where you’re downloading the shortcut and click on the ‘Get Shortcut’ option.
- You’ll be headed to the Shortcuts app. You may evaluate the shortcut in the shortcut window before adding it to the device.
- Click on the ‘Add Untrusted Shortcut’ option to finally add the same.
- A ‘Mute Toggle’ shortcut will be created and added to the app.
You may customize the shortcut in the Shortcuts app as per your preference. Once you’ve done that, you can continue to configure the ‘Back Tap’ feature. The steps to run the Mute shortcut are:
- Launch the Settings app on your Apple device.
- Locate the ‘Accessibility’ tab and click on the same.
- Select the ‘Touch’ option in the next window.
- Tap on the ‘Back Tap’ option.
- Select between the two: Double Tap or Triple Tap, to select a method to mute your phone.
- Navigate to the ‘Shortcuts’ section in the same window and select the ‘Mute Toggle’ shortcut.
- Click on the ‘Back’ option to confirm and save the settings.
Finally, the ‘Double Tap’ function will work the next time you double or triple tap at the back of your iPhone. That was interesting, right? Most iPhone users are unfamiliar with a lot of features like these. However, there’s a lot more to explore, just like the Back Tap feature we’ve talked about today.
So, what are you waiting for? It’s time to cut off the need to pick up your phone and perform functions like these.