Are you a Gin lover from way back when? Then you are probably a fan of Craft Gin, which has grown in popularity over the last few years.
So, what really is Craft Gin? It is an artisan Gin, meaning that the creators of Craft Gin are true artists, putting in a lot of effort to give Gin drinkers around the world a unique, and exceptional experience, with a diversely flavoured drink, made using hand-picked ingredients, such as grains and botanicals (also known as aromatics). One of the primary ingredients of Gin is the Juniper berry, and legally the inclusion of Juniper berries is a must when producing Gin, in order for it to be classified as such. Craft Gin offers a flavourful experience, with hints of herbs, spices, fruits and other botanicals in addition to Juniper.
Craft Gin distillers are small batch distilleries, who produce a very limited quantity annually. Most have come up with their own Gin recipes and very special fermenting or distilling methods, to create this artisan Gin. Craft Gin distillers are small teams usually consisting of family members who have an undying passion for the beverage. They give absolute meaning to the term ‘handcrafted’ Gin, because there is so much love that goes into producing a truly unique tasting drink.
Craft Gin can be consumed neat, as a classic Gin & Tonic, or used as a base for cocktails, which makes it a hot favourite among pub owners.
So, what really makes a Craft Gin special?
- Real people behind the drink – Unlike with mass-scale producers of Gins, Craft Gin producers are real people, usually from your own local community, who have a clear passion for creating a quality product. Their expansive knowledge of Gin and this unconditional passion go into creating the most fabulous recipes, and their individuality exists in every aspect of the distilling process.
- Handcrafted and personalised – Craft Gin distillers are involved in every aspect of the production process, from hand picking the ingredients, to distilling to bottling and marketing the product.
- Small batch Gin – Craft Gin distillers lay greater emphasis on the quality of the product, hence producing only small quantities of the beverage. They maintain a high standard for their products, and occasionally come up with seasonal varieties of their Gins, combining their existing flavours with seasonal botanicals to create something unique and new.
- Traditional methods – Juniper being the predominant ingredient of Gin, all Craft Gin distillers ensure that they stand by these standards and recipes that are sometimes those that have been handed down from generation to generation, and they simply add new flavours to these age-old recipes to make them more diverse and unique to their distillery.
Another reason that Craft Gin has become so popular is that it has many health benefits to offer to the gin drinker, such as:
- Remedy for Hay Fever – Switching to Craft Gin during the summer has proven to reduce symptoms of Hay Fever, as compared to those who prefer to drink beer and cider which are high in histamines due to their fermentation process.
- Low in calories – Gin has far less calories than any other beverage, including wine and beer. It counts to as little as 97 calories per shot, and even less if taken with a low calory mixer.
- Low in sugar – Gin only has traces of sugar in it, making it relatively low when compared to other beverages. Choose your mixers well to make it an even better choice in terms of weight management.
- Youthful skin – Juniper berries are full of antioxidants which help in maintaining healthy and youthful looking skin, reducing wrinkles and age lines.
- Reduces bloating – Juniper berries are also a natural diuretic, and certain other herbs and botanicals included in Craft Gin make it the ideal drink to aid in digestion and reduce bloating, which most other alcoholic beverages are bound to cause rather than reduce.
- Reduces the risk of Diabetes – Certain research has shown that Gin is the ideal beverage to control Type I Diabetes, although a doctor’s advice should be taken before you start drinking.
- Relieves joint pain – Throughout history Juniper has been used as a remedy to reduce pain caused by Arthritis and rheumatism.
Craft Gin is available at many pubs and stores, especially since it is the preferred base for many cocktails. There are also many ecommerce stores that offer booze delivery in London, and you can get your Gin delivered to your doorstep through these sites, easily and conveniently.