Glioblastoma Multiforme Treatment Industry Overview
The global glioblastoma multiforme treatment market size is expected to reach USD 4.2 billion by 2028, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. It is expected to expand at a CAGR of 8.8% from 2021 to 2028. The market is driven by the rising prevalence of the disease and increasing approval for novel therapy and combination therapy.
Glioblastoma Multiforme Treatment Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global glioblastoma multiforme treatment market on the basis of treatment, drug class, end-use, and region:
Based on the Treatment Insights, the market is segmented into Surgery, Radiation Therapy, Chemotherapy, Targeted Therapy, Tumor Treating Field (TTF) Therapy, Immunotherapy.
- Radiation therapy dominated the market with a revenue share of 37.6% in 2020 owing to the improved survival rates. Radiation therapy can be recommended as the first treatment or combined with chemotherapy and surgery. It is also effective and highly recommended for brain tumors in case of recurrence.
- The use of temozolomide along with radiotherapy makes the tumor more sensitive to radiation. This combination of therapy is more effective than radiation without temozolomide.
- Surgery is the most common treatment for GBM, followed by radiation therapy and chemotherapy. This treatment plan is accepted as the standard of care. Moreover, the increasing use of targeted therapy to manage GBM is expected to fuel the segment growth during the forecast period.
Based on the Drug Class Insights, the market is segmented into Temozolomide, Bevacizumab, Lomustine, Carmustine Wafers, Others.
- The others segment accounted for the largest revenue share of 66.4% in 2020. The other drugs segment includes drugs such as everolimus, corticosteroids, and 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA). Corticosteroids are mainly prescribed to reduce the peritumoral vasogenic edema for symptomatic benefits.
- Bevacizumab is a targeted therapy approved for the treatment of recurrent and newly diagnosed GBM. Furthermore, in December 2017, the company received full approval from the U.S. FDA for bevacizumab for the treatment of adults with GBM.
Based on the End-use Insights, the market is segmented into Hospitals, Clinics, Ambulatory Surgical Centers.
- The hospitals segment held the largest share of 49.2% in 2020 and is anticipated to maintain its lead during the forecast period. Hospitals are preferred by patients in terms of treatment accessibility and convenience.
- The clinics segment is expected to grow at the fastest rate over the forecast period. Increasing adoption of noninvasive therapies, such as radiation therapy and tumor-treating fields therapy, is anticipated to drive the segment.
- The ambulatory surgical centers segment is expected to witness lucrative growth over the forecast period. An increasing number of complex surgeries performed in an outpatient setting may increase the brain tumor resections at ambulatory surgical centers.
Glioblastoma Multiforme Treatment Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
Key players in the GBM treatment market are focusing on R&D to develop advanced technology products to gain a competitive edge. Major players are engaged in mergers & acquisitions, and licensing & partnerships with an aim to strengthen their product portfolio, expand their manufacturing capacities, and provide competitive differentiation.
Some prominent players in the global glioblastoma multiforme treatment market include
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Amgen, Inc.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Amgen, Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Arbor Pharmaceuticals, LLC
- Amneal Pharmaceuticals
- Karyopharm Therapeutics, Inc.
- Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma Oncology, Inc. (Boston Biomedical, Inc.)
Order a free sample PDF of the Glioblastoma Multiforme Treatment Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519