Table Of Content
- How to Connect a Canon Printer to the Laptop?
- How to Connect Wireless Canon Printer to Windows/Mac?
- How to Install a Print Driver on Your Canon Printer?
Having trouble setting up your new Canon printer? If yes, this guide will walk you through the installation steps. You can learn how to connect a Canon print system to a laptop (Windows or Mac) here. The methods you are going to explore in this article involve USB Cable, Wi-Fi Connection, Ethernet Cable, or Wireless LAN. In addition, you will need to download and install the driver to complete the printer installation setup.
Here are the setup requirements you will get to explore below:
- Connecting a device to the print system (Canon) using:
- USB Cord
- Wi-Fi connection
- Wireless LAN
- Connect Wireless Canon Printer to a Device
- Download Canon Print Driver
How to Connect a Canon Printer to the Laptop?
If you are looking to connect your print system to a laptop, look for the different methods mentioned here. Perform the instructions accordingly.
Method 1: Use a USB Cable Connection
The USB connection is an option if you simply want to print from your PC and require connecting the print system directly to it. To do so, plug the USB cord into the port on your PC (Windows or Mac). Then, take the other end and connect it to the Canon printer.
Once done, connect the power cable, and power it up. On your PC, download and install the compatible print driver and complete the process.
Method 2: Connect the Device Via Wi-Fi
In this method, if you want a cableless contact to use the internet for print jobs, the Wi-Fi setup method is the one. It will allow your print system to access the print jobs from any required devices. However, the commanding device should be connected to the same network (wireless). Whether you use laptops, tablets, smartphones, or desktop PCs, all require the same rule.
- First, connect the print system to the main power outlet.
- Then, you have to turn the printer on.
- Navigate to the Control Panel, and go to Network Settings.
- After that, select the Wireless LAN option and click on OK.
- Now, choose the Wireless LAN settings.
- On the next screen, click the OK button.
- Finally, select a network and provide your password.
Once you have connected to the Wi-Fi network, download the Canon printer driver on your PC.
Method 3: Use an Ethernet Cable Connection
A wired connection uses an Ethernet cable and allows multiple devices on a connected network to access the printer. If you choose to set up an Ethernet Connection, here is what you need to do:
- First, take one end of the Ethernet cable and plug it to the print system.
- And the end of the cable to the router.
- In the next step, start your print system.
- Now, go to the Control Panel Menu on your printer.
- After that, you have to choose your Network Settings.
- Then, you have to select the Wired LAN option on the panel.
- Make sure the Canon printer is connected to the Wired LAN.
- Finally, install the print driver on your PC.
If you are unable to install the Ethernet Cable Connection and require a professional, connect with a support service.
Method 4: Connect Using Wireless LAN (Access Point Mode)
If a device has already made a wireless LAN connection to the printer and you wish to add another one, connect it directly. Your print support can support up to 5 devices all at the same time. Go through the steps and perform them:
Step 1: Check the printer's settings
First, you need to change the settings of your print system.
- Check that your printer is on.
- If the Power LED blinks three times, press the Wi-Fi button.
- After that, hold the button for 3 seconds and release it.
- Now, ensure that the Power LED has switched from blinking to stable.
- You can print the network setting information to check the current access point mode.
- Use the IJ Network Tool to change the security settings (bundled software).
Step 2: Connecting the Printer to a Device
Here, use the Setup CD-ROM or the official website to complete the wireless LAN configuration. Then, connect a computer to the printer using the procedure below.
- Turn on the wireless communication on your device.
- Go to the “Settings” app, and click the “Wi-Fi” button.
- Then, turn on the Wi-Fi connection.
- If you do not know how to do it, check the manual.
- On your iOS device, select “XXXXX-iP110series” from the SSID list.
- The “XXXXXX” stands for the printer's MAC address' final six digits.
- Now, you have to provide the password:
- Remember, the default password will be the serial number of your printing device.
- It contains “nine alphanumeric characters” and is given on the back of the machine.
- There are four alphabets followed by five numbers.
- Note: You can print the network setting details to check the serial number of the printer.
- Finally, the connection is finished.
These are the instructions for your Wireless LAN network.
How to Connect Wireless Canon Printer to Windows/Mac?
If you own a Canon wireless printer and need to set it up on a Windows or Mac device, here are the rules to adhere to.
Prepare the Printer
The first thing you require is preparing a print system. Below are the steps to perform:
- Start with checking that the printer is on and plugged in.
- Then, confirm the connection between your print system and router using the Ethernet cable to access the internet.
In this step, check the installation software for your print system. It may require you to use the CD to begin the installation program before setting up the connection.
- If you are using the latest model of the printing brand, it is unlikely to have this issue.
- However, some older models still require a CD installation.
- To do this, insert the installation CD into the CD drive to begin the installation.
- After that, check the on-screen instructions.
- Also, you will need an external CD reader to complete this step on a Mac.
Make sure your printer is online. Start with selecting a wireless network and entering the password using the LCD display.
- You can also check the printer manual to connect a wireless connection.
- Visit the official Canon website and click on Support.
- On the following page, select Manuals from the drop-down menu.
- Then, tap on Printers, and provide the model number.
- Now, an online guide will be available for you.
Once you have checked these, install the print system on Mac or Windows.
Installing On Windows
- At the bottom-left corner of the screen, tap the Windows logo.
- Go to the lower-left corner, and click the Settings icon.
- In the Settings window, open the Devices folder.
- Then, select the Printers & Scanners option.
- Click on the “Add a printer or scanner” option.
- After that, a pop-up window will display.
- If your model name appears in the Printers & Scanner list, it is already connected.
- Now, press the name of your model.
- A prompt to connect the print system to the PC will appear.
- After the connection is complete, you can use the devices.
- If your Windows device is unable to find the printer, proceed to the next step.
- Install your printing device using a USB cord.
- Check your printer in the Add window.
- If it does not contain your model’s name, install it using a cable:
- Attach the cable to both devices and wait for the installation window.
- Perform the steps on your screen.
Install on Mac
- Click on the Apple logo and open it.
- From the drop-down, choose System Preferences.
- Select the Printers & Scanners option in the following window.
- Press the “+” icon near the bottom-left corner.
- Now, a pop-up window will occur.
- If your printer is connected, you will see its name in the left-hand pane.
- Then, tap the name of your model.
- The drop-down menu will open up.
- Thereafter, you will see your model name in the pane.
- It means that the printer has successfully connected to your Mac.
- Next, the setup procedure will start.
- Continue to the next step if you can't see the printer's name.
- If the device fails to connect, you can use a USB cable.
Once you have completed the steps for your printer installation, download the driver.
How to Install a Print Driver on Your Canon Printer?
The drivers are required to communicate print jobs from the PC to the printing device. So, it is required to complete the installation procedure.
- Load the Print Driver Software CD-ROM into the drive.
- Then, double-tap the “My Computer” icon.
- After that, click on the CD-ROM drive icon.
- Now, navigate and double-click the following folders:
- Next, double-tap the “Setup.exe” icon and start the installation.
- In the prompted dialog box of the Printer Driver Setup Wizard, press Next.
- Go through the license agreement and if you agree, tap on Yes.
- Choose the “Manually Set Port to Install” option and tap on Next.
- Press the Next button again.
- Select a driver you want to download from the Printer list.
- After that, you have to click the Add button.
- Verify if the selected driver is listed in the “Printer List for Driver Installation.”
- Now, tap the Next button.
- Thereafter, you have to select a port.
- Provide a name in the Printer Name column and set it as default.
- Check the settings of the installation procedure and press Start.
- Once the files are copied, click on Exit to complete the installation.
Hopefully, the guide was helpful in the printer installation. However, if you are unable to understand the configuration of the print system and various setup instructions, visit our Support page to book free consultation with a professional.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Why is my PC not recognizing the Canon printer?
Answer: Do the following:
- Check to see if the printer is on.
- Make sure the Wi-Fi LED is on the front of the printer.
- The Wireless LAN is not functioning if the Wi-Fi LED is off.
- Press the Resume or Cancel button to turn on Wireless LAN.
- When the Power lamp flashes ten times, release the button.
Question: What do I do when my Canon printer is not connecting to the laptop?
Answer: You can use a USB cable for the direct connection as well. Check the USB port if the problem is not with the cable. If your printer still doesn't connect to the PC, try inserting it into another USB port.
Question: How do I change the Network Connection Configuration?
Answer: Do the following:
- Click the Menu.
- Choose “Network Settings” and click on OK.
- Tap on “TCP/IP Settings” and press OK.
- Click on the “IPv4 Settings” option and tap “OK.”
- Press the “PING Command” and tap on “OK.”