The global lactose market is predicted to be worth US$2,312.50 million in 2022, rising to US$ 4,169.8 million by 2033. During the projection period of 2023 to 2033, the market is estimated to grow at a 6% CAGR.
According to the Food Industry Association, over 30% of all households follow a pescatarian, flexitarian, vegan, or vegetarian diet. This study brings up new possibilities for plant-based butter. Plant-based butter is becoming increasingly popular as consumers value natural products with clear labelling, prompting dairy manufacturers to study and develop vegan alternatives.
The lactose sector is constantly developing due to its widespread application in the culinary and pharmaceutical industries. Lactose is an important component in many products, including dairy-based foods, infant formula, and pharmaceutical tablets, thus the market for this commodity is still active. Population growth, urbanisation, and rising disposable incomes in emerging economies are driving market expansion.
Discover the Power of Knowledge! Get our Report Sample Now and Elevate Your Understanding
In recent years, hundreds of supply shortage instances have been reported, spurring the creation of new technology manufacturing facilities to enhance production capacity and close the supply-demand imbalance. The continuous expansion of manufacturing facilities utilising new technology hastens lactose consumption and is projected to lead to global market growth.
- Lactulose to emerge as the lucrative derivative type, accounting for nearly 30% sales
- United States will continue to account for significant market share among all countries
- Powdered form lactose will continue to outsell lactose in granule form
- Food industry will be the mainstay for lactose demand, but opportunities in animal feed are growing
- UK lactose to mimic broader consumer trends in Europe
- Lactose market players in Japan and South Korea target novel applications
“While food and beverage industry has accounted for bulk of the demand, market players are exploring applications in animal feed and personal care industry ” said a lead analyst at FMI
Emerging nations represent an exceptional opportunity for the lactose industry. Players are making significant investments to penetrate the untapped markets through affordable offerings. Key stakeholders in the lactose market have commenced significant revamps to their strategies in emergent countries and purpose is to increase access to their products.
In recent years, lactose market has witnessed product launches with the development of lactose by key manufacturers in order to increase their market share globally. Companies are coming up with various lactose based ingredient and derivatives for application in various segments.
- In 2015, Meggle one of key player of lactose, launched triple compound pharma grade lactose CombiLac®, specifically designed to ease oral solid dosage.
- In 2019, Kerry announced to launch Aero Flo brand for inhalation lactose grade. Brand named Aero Flo® for inhalation grades of lactose have been explicitly developed for usage in dry powder inhalers for pulmonary delivery of pharmaceuticals.
Who is Winning?
Some of the key players operating in the lactose market are, Armor Pharma, Avantor, Inc., Ba’emek Advanced Technologies Ltd (Tnuva Group), BASF SE, Davisco Foods International, Inc., DFE Pharma (JV of Royal FrieslandCampina & Fonterra Ltd.), Hilmar Ingredients, Hoogwegt Groep B.V., Kerry plc., Lactose (India) Limited, Merck KgaA, Milei Gmbh, Molkerei MEGGLE Wasserburg GmbH & Co. KG and other players.
Key players are focusing on partnership in order to gain larger market share and to capture new geographical areas to get access to new markets.
- In 2019 LBB Specialties announced that it has signed a strategic partnership deal with Meggle for the distribution of Meggle’s Pharmaceutical Lactose excipients, including lactose for inhalation formulations, in the United States.
- In 2019, MEGGLE Excipients & Technology signed an agreement with Quadra Chemicals Ltd., a leading chemical and ingredient distributor, to represent its lactose excipient portfolio for the pharmaceutical and nutraceutical industries in Canada.
Get Valuable Insights into Lactose Market
- Food and Beverage
- Functional Food
- Animal Feed
- Lactose Monohydrate
- Other (tagatose, lactobionic acid)
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia
- Middle East and Africa (MEA)