Cases of oral cancer, more commonly known as mouth cancer, are on a rapid rise worldwide. Mouth cancer which used to be rare a few decades back, is now the sixth most common cancer worldwide. You may be surprised to know one-third of oral cancer cases worldwide are in India.
So if you or any of your known ones have been diagnosed with oral cancer, don't worry; you are not alone. Your only focus should be on consulting the best oncologist and starting the treatment as soon as possible.
Treating cancer can be expensive, especially in the end stages, where different therapies and surgeries are required. But to give you a sigh of relief, India provides low-cost oral cancer treatments, including surgical interventions. The country has made commendable progress in medical science and has improved the healthcare sector tremendously.
The cost of oral cancer surgery in India starts from just INR 1,40,000, making it a good option for people looking for cost-effective treatment.
What is Oral Cancer?
Oral or mouth cancer is a type of cancer that involves the oral cavity. Cells in the oral cavity undergo unregulated division, resulting in the formation of tumors. The oral cavity includes cheeks, lips, tongue, gums, or roof/floor of the mouth.
If not diagnosed early, oral cancer can metastasize to nearby organs and be fatal. Hence early detection is necessary to beat cancer successfully and live a healthy life.
How is Oral Cancer Treated in India?
Like any other cancer, treatment options for oral cancer include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and surgery.
- Chemotherapy: It involves administering medications that have the potential to kill cancer cells. Depending upon your diagnosis, chemotherapy can include only one drug or a combination of drugs.
- Radiation therapy: Radiation therapy involves bombarding the tumor with radiation like X-rays. There are four major types of radiation therapy, namely intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT), internal radiation therapy (IRT), and external beam radiation therapy.
- Surgery: Oral cancer surgery involves surgical removal of cancer and a margin of healthy tissues to ensure complete cancer removal. Another type of surgery, called reconstructive surgery, may also be performed to restore the mouth's structure.
How Much Does Oral Cancer Surgery Cost in India?
The cost of oral cancer surgery depends upon the cancer stage and the type of surgery selected. In India, you can get surgical removal of oral cancer for about INR 1,40,000 to INR 3,00,000.
International patients would spend anywhere from USD 2550 to USD 3800 for oral cancer surgery in India.
If the surgery is combined with radiation therapy and chemotherapy, the cost can go up to 4-5 lakhs.
What is the Cost of Diagnostic Tests for Oral Cancer?
Before a patient undergoes oral cancer surgery, there are various diagnostic tests that are performed. Some of these tests are also required after surgery to check whether the tumor is completely removed.
The cost of these tests is given below –
- Biopsy: INR 5,000-25,000
- Ultrasound: INR 800-1,500
- X-ray: INR 300-700
- Fine needle aspiration: INR 2,000-3,000
- MRI: INR 2,500-6,500
- CT: INR 1,500-4,500
Does India Provide Cost-Effective Surgical Treatment for Oral Cancer?
Compared to other countries, India provides cost-effective mouth cancer surgery, as in the USA and the UK, it would cost not less than USD 8000-1000. A few other countries along with the cost, are mentioned below, and you can find yourself how affordable India is in terms of oral cancer surgery.
- France: USD 7500
- Singapore: USD 11000
- Malaysia: USD 7680
- Germany: USD 9600
- Turkey: USD 8400
- Thailand: USD 7200
What are the Factors Affecting the Cost of Oral Cancer Surgery in India?
Several factors determine the cost of oral cancer surgery. These factors can majorly be divided into three types.
- Hospital Factors
- Type of hospital
- Accreditation of the hospital
- Brand value of hospital
- Insurance accepted or not
- Medical Factors
- Type of surgery required
- Technology and technique used
- Fees of doctor
- Medicine charges
- Patient Factors
- Stage of cancer
- Patient's general health
- Post-surgery care
What is Included in the Cost of Oral Cancer Surgery in India?
The cost of oral cancer surgery includes the following –
- Preoperative diagnostic test: Diagnostic tests like MRI, CT, and biopsy can cost around INR 10,000 – INR 30,000.
- Surgery cost: The cost of surgery is between INR 1,40,000 – INR 3,00,000.
- Medication charges: The cost of oral cancer surgery includes medicines required during and after the treatment, around INR 10,000.
- Consultation charges: The fees for consulting an oncologist is generally INR 1,000 to INR 3,000.
- Post-surgery test: Different tests are required to see the treatment progress and can cost up to INR 10,000.
- Hospital stay: The patient may be hospitalized for 4-5 days, and the hospital charges INR 15,000 to INR 25,000 for it.
List of Best Doctors for Oral Cancer Surgery in India
The oncologists practicing in India are highly skilled and experienced. Many senior surgeons offer oral cancer surgery, and we have narrowed the list to the top 5 Oncologists in India.
- Dr. Vinod Raina: Dr. Vinod Raina is a renowned Oncologist who has worked in some of India's premier institutes for 37 years. His expertise includes the treatment of oral cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, and breast cancer.
- Dr. Hari Goyal: Dr. Hari Goyal is one of India's best Oncologists, practicing for 23 years. He specializes in adjuvant and neoadjuvant chemotherapy, oral cancer, breast cancer, and acute lymphocytic leukemia.
- Dr. S.V.S.S Prasad: Dr. S.V.S.S Prasad is a senior Oncologist with an overall experience of 41 years and 28 years as a specialist. Dr. Prasad holds extensive experience in head and neck cancer surgery, mouth cancer surgery, lung cancer treatment, and preventive cancer screening.
- Dr. Sameer Kaul: Dr. Sameer Kaul is an eminent Oncology Surgeon who specializes in surgeries for oral cancer, head & neck cancer, thorax cancer, and GI cancer. He has an experience of more than 26 years.
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Chanana: Dr. Subhash Chandra is a well-known senior Medical Oncologist in India with 50+ years of experience. He is an expert in surgical treatment for lung, breast, oral, and bone cancers.
India is known for providing low-cost surgery for oral cancer. But this does not mean that the quality of medical care is compromised at any point of treatment. The general cost for oral cancer surgery in India is between 1.5 to 3 lakhs, but this can be higher or lower depending upon different factors. You can definitely visit India for best-in-class medical facilities at affordable prices.