QuickBooks error 6190 belongs to the error code series 6000, which depict an issue when opening the QuickBooks company file. QuickBooks company file is the main file in the program, wherein, you can store your financial data. Besides, you can share this file with the other users so that multiple users can work on the file simultaneously. In a multi-user environment, you can grant users with different levels of access permissions as well. However, an improperly hosted company file can bring forth issues when you try to open it. QuickBooks error 6190-816 is also one such error we will discuss in this friendly guide.
QuickBooks Error Message 6190 Description
When you try to open your company file, an error message appears on your screen that states:
Unable to open the company file on the hosted computer.
It means that the company file is not hosted properly in the multi-user environment. The error also takes place when multiple users attempt to open a company file in single-user mode. A damaged company file or network can be also one of the main reasons behind the arrival of the error. To deal with this issue, you need to dig out its possible reasons.
Possible Reasons Behind QuickBooks Error 6190 816
QuickBooks error 6190 can come into sight due to the below-given reasons:
- The discrepancy between the Transaction Log (.TLG) and QuickBooks Company (.QBW) file.
- The partial update process of the company file when the transaction log file is not updated.
- Multiple users are trying to access a company file in single-user mode.
- Damaged or corrupt QuickBooks data file is also one of the main reasons behind the error.
- If the company file is stored in a read-only network folder.
How to Determine If the QuickBooks Desktop Error 6190 Has Occurred?
When the error occurs, it gives some signs that depict its occurrence. Check the below-given list:
- An active window crashes with the arrival of the error message popup box.
- Sluggish performance of the Windows on mouse or keyboard inputs.
- Windows freezes or crashes every now and then.
- You may not be able to open your QuickBooks company file.
Troubleshooting Methods for QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816
QuickBooks error 6190 crops us due to multiple reasons and suppressing the apparent reasons behind the error can fix it. Check the below-given solutions:
Solution 1: Use Quick Fix My Program Utility
Quick Fix My Program is an important utility in the program that ends all the background processes QuickBooks is using. Besides, it also runs a repair on QuickBooks software. You can use this utility by downloading QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Start with downloading the QuickBooks Tool Hub from Intuit’s official website.
- Save the file to an easily accessible location.
- Now from the download location, double-click the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and install it on your system.
- Agree to the terms and conditions to finish the installation process.
- Now open QuickBooks Tool Hub and select Program Problem.
- Next, click Quick Fix My Program to kill the background processes and refresh QuickBooks.
- Wait until it finishes the task and then open your company file.
If the error continues, try the next solution.
Solution 2: Repair Data Using QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is a powerful utility in the program that can resolve the common issues related to the QuickBooks company file and network. This tool can also be utilized from QuickBooks Tool Hub. Now that you have already downloaded the QuickBooks Tool Hub, follow the below-given steps:
- Open QuickBooks Tool Hub in the first place.
- From within the tool, select Company File Issues.
- Moving ahead, select QuickBooks File Doctor.
Once the tool is initiated, it will find and fix the common company file and network issues. Try to open the QuickBooks company file and check if the QuickBooks error 6190 is fixed or not. If not, try the next procedure.
Solution 3: Rename .ND & .TLG Files
Damaged network or transaction log files can bring forth QuickBooks Desktop error 6190. Renaming these files can repair the damaged data in the company file. These files are located in the same folder wherein, the main company file is stored. Besides, their names are also the same as your company file. They can be differentiated with their extensions .ND and .TLG. To rename:
- Open Windows File Manager and navigate to the QuickBooks Installation Directory.
- Locate the files with extensions .ND and .TLG.
- Right-click on any of the two files and select Rename.
- Add .OLD at the and of the file name and make sure that the changes are saved.
- Again, perform the same procedure with the other file.
After renaming Network Data and Transaction Log file, try to open your QuickBooks company file. If the error persists, try the next solution.
Solution 4: Restart Your Computer on The Network
In the multi-user mode, the file is hosted on a server computer. The computers connected with the server computer are known as workstations. If you are having trouble opening the company file, restart the server and workstation both. To restart:
- Go to the server computer that hosts the QuickBooks company file and click Restart.
- Next, you need to restart all the workstations connected to the server computer.
- Now open QuickBooks on the server and then on workstations.
On A Final Note!
QuickBooks error 6190 816 is an annoying error code. Whenever it occurs, users want to get rid of it immediately. The solutions listed in this post can help you in the error resolution. If you want experts to fix it for you, get in touch with us.