Disclaimer: This is a user generated content submitted by a member of the WriteUpCafe Community. The views and writings here reflect that of the author and not of WriteUpCafe. If you have any complaints regarding this post kindly report it to us.

Accidents and injuries are quite common occurrences at a workplace. In the unfortunate event that it happens to you or a love done, you can claim workers’ compensation for your medical treatment and lost wages.

However, not many employees are aware of their rights and the claims process if they are ever involved in a workplace accident. Your employer should inform you about how to report workplace injuries but not many do so.

So, here is a quick guide about reporting your workers’ compensation claim.

Reporting a work accident injury

When a workplace accident occurs or you suspect you have developed an illness due to your tasks related to your job, you should report it to your employer as soon as possible. If your employer has a policy on how to report a workplace injury or illness, you should follow company protocol. Even if such procedures are not effective, report the injury or illness to your supervisor, HR head, reporting officer in the company. Report the injury or illness in writing and keep a copy of the report for your records.

If you are having issues reporting a work injury, speak to a workplace injury lawyer. They can help you understand your rights in your particular situation, offer you advice on the most appropriate course of action, and formally represent you if needed.

Once you have reported the workplace illness or injury, your employer should –

  • provide you with a DWC-1 Claim Form which you need to complete and return to the employer
  • upon notification of a work-related accident injury, your employer is required to notify their workers’ compensation insurance company within 24 hours by providing the claim form to the insurance company
  • ensure that you also receive a copy of the completed claim form (with employer’s portion completed as well)

The workers’ compensation insurance carrier should then authorize up to $10,000of medical care until the claim is accepted or denied. (The insurance company gets 90 days to admit or deny the claim.)

The workers’ compensation insurance carrier can pick the doctor for the first 30 days after the submission of the claim form but you can select a new doctor (within the medical provider network) after the first 30 days of reporting.

Many employees are not aware of the rules about reporting their illness or injury issue to their employer. Some are even scared to report a workers’ compensation claim for fear of losing their job.

If you are facing any issues reporting or claiming your workers’ compensation, the best course of action is to consult an experienced workplace injury lawyer as soon as possible. This will help you understand and exercise your rights in a timely manner.

If you wish to consult an experienced auto or motorcycle accident or workplace injury lawyer in Sherman Oaks, CA, schedule a consultation with the law office of Eduard Braun in California, at 877-533-4LAW.


Welcome to WriteUpCafe Community

Join our community to engage with fellow bloggers and increase the visibility of your blog.
Join WriteUpCafe