Our team develops translational strategies to enable smooth transition of candidate molecules into the clinic. We design and perform in vitro studies on primary human cells and ex vivo assays on fresh human biological samples, thanks to our collaboration with a network of clinical hospital centers nearby. Patients’ samples are managed in line with the highest standards for acquisition, transfer and disposal of human biological material. The proximity of hospitals we work with allows us to process the samples directly after their retrieval, which is important for preservation of tissue viability throughout the experimental process.
Advantages of using patient-derived material for drug discovery process:
- Studying disease-relevant targets
- Target relevance demonstrated on actual patient samples
- Identification of functional consequences of target modulation
- De-risking candidate selection
- Early identification of compounds which might fail in clinical trials
- Redirecting resources to more promising compounds, lowering the risk of the whole drug discovery program
- Establishment of an early proof of mechanism in humans
- Clinically relevant testing
- Working on fresh, non-cryopreserved samples increases the reliability of results
- Tissue retains its 3D architecture, allowing for more complex interactions
- Fresh, functional human tissues are the closest possible model of how drugs will behave in patients
- Patient-derived samples accurately represent the heterogeneity observed in the clinic
- DNA/RNA/protein isolation, qRT-PCR, gene silencing
- Western blot, multiplex analysis, HPLC/MS
- Flow cytometry, high content imaging, confocal microscopy
- Histopathology, immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization
- Clinical biochemistry
Selvita provides its clients with effective integrated drug discovery support based on broad capabilities and deep experience in small molecule drug discovery, starting from target validation up to the selection of a clinical candidate. We powerfully execute fully-integrated drug discovery programs combining all of Selvita’s core skills in biology and chemistry or else provide partially-integrated or stand-alone services utilising selected capabilities optimally matched to the specific needs of our clients.
Our goal is to provide efficacious, safe, and differentiated preclinical candidates.
We place a strong emphasis on translational science, focusing on disease-relevant animal models and ex-vivo studies where appropriate from patient samples, with the discovery process driven by expert medicinal chemistry and ADME/PK. Inflammation, infection and oncology are our core expertise, accompanied by experience in additional therapeutic areas.