1. Pets

Sago Palms Are Toxic To Pets

Disclaimer: This is a user generated content submitted by a member of the WriteUpCafe Community. The views and writings here reflect that of the author and not of WriteUpCafe. If you have any complaints regarding this post kindly report it to us.

Sago palms are famous decorative plants on the Coast and the Pacific. As a pet parent, you need to be cautious about this plant. They are toxic to your pet.

Sago palms have this harmful compound called cycasin. It immediately deteriorates your pet's protein, followed by multiple dysfunctions of his organs. Although it's all over the plant, the seed tends to have the most amount of toxin. Your pet may find it delicious, so be attentive to what your pet is chewing.

The symptoms of sago palm poisoning include the following:

  • Vomiting
  • Painful tummy
  • Depression
  • Coma
  • Death

Death is usually caused by acute liver failure, loss of protein through the dog’s gastrointestinal tract, and acute liver failure. A blood clotting disorder called disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) can also develop which can further complicate the treatment and possibly worsen the prognosis.

If you think or have seen your pet consume sago palm, you should call your veterinary hospital Tumwater, WA immediately. You may be asked to bring in your pet immediately even before toxic symptoms are evident.

Login

Welcome to WriteUpCafe Community

Join our community to engage with fellow bloggers and increase the visibility of your blog.
Join WriteUpCafe