If you possess a creative mind and are fascinated by computer programs, consider pursuing a career as a Software Engineer to gain the technological skills and knowledge that shape the future.
Software Engineering involves designing, developing, testing, evaluating, and maintaining software programs. The course covers various topics such as programming, application analysis, and code development.
How to become a software engineer?
To pave the way for a successful future, follow these five steps to become a Software Engineer after 12th:
- Complete your 10+2 in the science stream and pursue a bachelor's program in Computer Science.
- After graduating, qualify in the entrance exam to apply for the master's course.
- Secure the required minimum aggregate score in your postgraduate degree.
- Hone your technical and soft skills to build a strong skill set.
- Further, you can pursue a Ph.D. course or apply to top companies for a rewarding job.
Specializations in Software Engineering:
- Web Development
- Graphics Development
- Mobile Development
- Desktop Development
- Big Data Development
- Full-Stack Development
- Game Development
- DevOps Development
- Security Development.
Undergraduate Courses options include:
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Software Engineering.
To be eligible, candidates must have completed 10+2 or equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects and secured a minimum aggregate score of 50%. Students must appear and qualify in the relevant entrance exam.
Duration: B.tech: 4 Years, B.sc – 3 Years
Admission Process: Merit/ Entrance Exam
Top Entrance Exam: JEE Main/ JEE Advanced/ CUCET
For Postgraduate Courses:
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Software Engineering or Master of Engineering (ME) in Software Engineering
Eligibility requires a Bachelor's degree in the relevant discipline with a minimum aggregate score of 55%. Aspirants should also appear and qualify for the National/ State/ University entrance exam.
Duration: 2 Years
Admissions Process: Merit/Entrance Exam
Top Entrance Exam: GATE/ Karnataka PGCET/ TANCET
Students can also pursue further studies and research by opting for Doctorate courses like:
- Doctorate of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Software Engineering
- Doctorate of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Computer Science
Scope as a Software Engineer:
The scope of a Software Engineer is bright and diverse. Reasons to pursue this career include opportunities for higher studies, continuous learning, lucrative salaries, interpersonal development, and job security.
Larsen and Toubro
Tata Consultancy Services
Top 5 Software Engineering Colleges in India:
For the best education and career prospects, consider the top software engineering colleges in India, such as
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) All campuses
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) in Pilani
- College of Engineering at Anna University in Chennai
- Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT) in Manipal
- National Institute of Technology (NIT) in Tiruchirapalli
- R.V. College of Engineering (RVCE) in Bangalore
- M S Ramaiah Institute of Technology (MSRIT) in Bangalore.
Now that you know how to become a Software Engineer after 12th, enroll yourself in the best course at the best college.
As Bill Gates said, “Software is a great combination between artistry and Engineering. When you finally get done and get to appreciate what you have done it is like a part of yourself that you've put together.” Enroll in the best college to embark on a career with vast opportunities and high scope. Don't miss the chance; pursue your dreams as a Software Engineer.