Icariin Extract, a flavonoid compound found in the Epimedium plant, has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries. Recently, it has gained popularity in the Western world for its numerous health benefits. Here are some of the benefits of icariin:
- Increases libido: Icariin has been shown to increase sexual desire and improve erectile function in men. It works by increasing nitric oxide levels in the body, which relaxes blood vessels and improves blood flow to the genital area.
- Boosts bone health: Icariin has been found to positively affect bone health by increasing bone density and reducing the risk of osteoporosis. It works by stimulating the production of osteoblasts, cells responsible for bone formation.
- Reduces inflammation: Icariin has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation. This can be particularly beneficial for those with arthritis and other inflammatory disorders.
- Enhances cognitive function: Icariin has been found to improve cognitive function and memory in animal studies. It promotes the growth of new brain cells and increases blood flow to the brain.
- Protects the heart: Icariin has been shown to protect the heart by reducing oxidative stress and inflammation. This can help reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
Safety precautions (7 contraindications)
- Not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women due to unknown safety.
- Not recommended for individuals with poor liver, kidney, and cardiovascular function as it may cause unknown adverse reactions.
- Do not take with medications or health supplements that may affect heart rhythm as they may cause unknown risks, such as asthma medications, antibiotics, cough medicine, cold medicine, antihistamines, thyroid medication, antidepressants, bitter orange, valerian, hawthorn, ginseng, ephedra, coffee, alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, etc.
- It is not recommended for individuals with abnormal blood clotting within two weeks before surgery or taking anticoagulants, as it may slow down blood clotting and increase the risk of bleeding. Relevant medication names include aspirin, clopidogrel, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, dalteparin, enoxaparin, heparin, and warfarin.
- It is not recommended for individuals with hormone-sensitive diseases or cancers (such as breast, uterine, or ovarian cancer) due to its potential estrogen-like effects, which may worsen symptoms.
- It is not recommended for individuals with low blood pressure or taking related blood pressure-lowering medications, as it may further lower blood pressure. Relevant medication names include captopril, enalapril, losartan, valsartan, diltiazem, Amlodipine, hydrochlorothiazide, and furosemide.
- It is not recommended for individuals with a history of allergy to the Berberidaceae family of plants, as it may trigger allergic reactions, such as rash, sweating, or fever.
Icariin Extract can be found in supplement form and is available in various dosages. As with any supplement, it is essential to consult a healthcare professional before taking icariin, especially if you have a pre-existing medical condition or are taking other medications.