Hand hygiene has a long history. It was not until the late 1840s that the Hungarian doctor Ignaz Semmelweis discovered the role of hand washing in preventing diseases. The first “Hand wash” was nothing but chlorinated water. With increased awareness regarding hand hygiene and advancement in medicinal chemistry, soaps with new formulas and fragrances were developed.
Now, it is the age of alcohol-based hand sanitizers and hand washes, developed specifically for different purposes, skin types, and customer demands. One can go for all organic and Ayurvedic options or pick one suitable for a certain medical condition. However, the ultimate purpose remains hand hygiene.
To help you attain this goal, here is a guide for professionals that talks about hand washing, its importance, and the best hand wash products available in India.
The Science Behind Hand Washing
We all have heard a mouthful from our elders about keeping our hands clean, washing them before and after eating, and much more. But why are they wary about hand washing anyways? Well, here is an explanation for their obsession with hand hygiene:
- Our hands are visibly the most exposed organs of our body, so they catch a lot of germs.
- If you touch your eyes and mouth or blow your nose with contaminated hands, these germs enter your body.
- They can cause a lot of bacterial, viral, and fungal infections, along with numerous other diseases.
- Washing hands regularly keeps us hands-free from these pathogens and saves us from numerous medical issues.
- It also prevents the spread of germs and diseases.
DID YOU KNOW? – The world observes Global Handwashing Day on October 15 every year.
Attributes of a Good Liquid Soap
Choosing a good hand wash is as important as using one. Different soaps have different compositions. This affects their suitability for various skin types and their effectiveness against pathogens. Here are a few things that you should look into before buying a liquid soap:
- pH – Our skin has a certain range of pH that helps it protect itself from various germs. Each liquid hand wash has a pH. You should buy ones that are in the range of ph 5 to 6.
- Organic and Cruelty-free Mark – Many people prefer products that are completely organic and have not been tested on animals. Every hand wash has a mark that you can check to see if it is so.
- Composition – You should see the composition to check if its ingredients suit you well and are not allergic.
- Extra benefits offered – Some hand washes kill germs and offer numerous other benefits like moisturizing skin, antibacterial effect, etc.
With these details laid out, it is time to introduce you to the top hand wash brands in India to buy liquid soaps.
Best Hand Wash Brands In India
There are a variety of hand soaps available in the market. Picking one from them is exhausting. However, with the help of our customers, we have taken the time to list the best hand washes in this section that you can buy in India. If you want to buy hand wash online, you can pick a product from below and order it from Cossouq’s website.
Dettol is among the top most trusted brands when it comes to health and hygiene. This Skincare Liquid Handwash is among its numerous personal hygiene products. It protects against numerous germs and keeps your hands clean and fragrant.
Here are some characteristics of this hand wash that make it the best hand wash in India:
- Trusted brand
- Free from harmful chemicals
- Leaves behind abundant plastic waste
We trust in Dettol for providing the best hygiene products and the numerous benefits that this product offers to bring it to the top of our list.
Second to the Dettol Handwash is the Vitamin E Foaming Hand Soap from Gosan. Gosan is a brand for hygiene enthusiasts. They offer a wide range of healthy products. One of them is this nourishing hand soap. Here are some factors that make this product one of the best soaps for hand washing.
- Nourishes skin with Vitamin E
- Daily protection from germs with its antibacterial temperament
- Moisturizes skin and repairs damage by improving collagen production
- A great option for people seeking a foaming soap
- Long shelf life of 36 months
- Nourishing and moisturizing
- Long shelf life
- Not completely free from chemicals
This hand wash secures the second place in our list with its richness in Vitamin E which benefits the skin deeply.
After Gosan’s foaming hand soap, we place this hand wash from Bare Minimum. Bare Minimum is a popular brand for buying daily essentials. They offer premium organic products at very affordable prices. The Moisturizing Hand Wash from Bare Minimum is an example of their exceptional products. It comes with a mild fragrance and moisturizes after every wash. Here are some salient features of this hand wash that bring it to our list:
- 100% natural and organic
- Contains Honey, Orange, Cilantro leaves, and Bitter Melon extracts that nourish and moisturize the skin.
- Balanced pH and free from soap, color, and paraben.
- Refillable aluminum bottles
- Prevents damage from over-drying of the skin
- The reason to keep this product in the third place is its organic nature and moisturizing characteristics.
Aluminum bottles add to the price of the product
Coming after Bare Minimum is Ariot’s daily moisturizing hand wash. Ariot has made its name for providing products that suit the skin types of everyone, even the extremely sensitive skin of patients. Here are the facts and features that bring it to this list:
- Contains vegetable glycerin, botanical extracts, and vitamin E that nourish the skin
- Does not strip body fluid from hands, keeps them hydrated
- Suitable for all skin types
- Cleans skin from numerous germs without damaging the skin
- Fragrance-free and washes away quickly
- Fragrance-free product
- Nourishes skin
- Not for people who prefer products with added fragrances
This hand-washing product gets the 4th rank for its suitability for various skin types.
Next to Ariot is Love Co., whose aesthetics know no bounds. The personal care brand brings you this beautiful Oud Accord Foaming Hand Wash packed in an elegant refillable container. Some more of the features of this hand wash is given below. Take a look!
- Contains Vitamin E and Shea
- Moisturizes and hydrates hands
- Essential oils nourish the skin
- Mild scent after every wash
- Shelf life of 36 months
- Moisturizes skin
- Long shelf Life
- A little expensive
This hand wash is at the fifth position on our list for its nourishing composition of shea and Vitamin E.
Are you a fan of that refreshing lemon scent? If yes, you must get these Hand washes from Skin Cottage. It contains lemon extracts that not only remove grease and dirt from your hand but leave that mild citrus fragrance behind. Not just this. Here are some more features of this hand washing:
- Protects skin from germs
- Moisturizes the skin and restores damage
- 5.5 pH that suits the natural pH of the body
- Contains Vitamin E
- Non Harmful composition
- Nourishes skin
- Might not lather well
Last but not least is the Fresh Moisturizing Hand Wash from Fiama. Fiama is a skincare brand that offers a variety of products packed with natural ingredients. This Moisturizing hand wash with the fragrance of Grapefruit and Bergamot is one of their exotic line of products. Here are some features of this product:
- Contains fragrances that uplift the mood
- Lathers to clean your hands germ-free.
- Dermatologically tested product
- Available in three fragrances of Happy, Fresh, and Relax
- Mood lifting fragrances
- Dermatologically certified
- Not everyone prefers the fragrance
What is the right way of washing hands?
Here are the steps for washing hands the right way:
- Wet hands with water of suitable temperature
- Take liquid soap in your palm and lather it
- Rub the back of the hand, between the fingers and the tips. Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds
- Clean the nails
- Rinse thoroughly
- Dry with a clean towel
How often should I wash my hands?
You should wash your hands before or after the following activities:
- Returning home from outside
- Any physical activity
- Preparing food
- Using the lavatories
- Coughing and sneezing
- Petting your animals
Hand hygiene is crucial to keep safe from diseases. Our hands pick dirt and germs from a thousand places throughout the day. If not washed regularly, these contaminants find their way into our bodies and wreak havoc. However, just hand washing with good quality soaps is enough for clean hands and safety from diseases.
This guide is a catalog to buy hand wash that helps you with your hand hygiene. All the products listed are available on Cossouq website. You can pick the ones that suit you and get them at the lowest hand wash price in India now!