Disclaimer: This is a user generated content submitted by a member of the WriteUpCafe Community. The views and writings here reflect that of the author and not of WriteUpCafe. If you have any complaints regarding this post kindly report it to us.

What documents for Green Card by marriage do we need?

The necessary documents for a green card by marriage

The documents to obtain a Green Card by marriage vary according to the situation, but generally include the following:

  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • financial documents
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residence of the sponsor
  • Proof of legal entry to the United States, (if applicable)
  • Criminal record certificate, (if applicable)
  • Dissolution documents from previous marriages, (if applicable)
  • Police, judicial, and prison records, (if applicable)
  • Military records, (if applicable)
  • Records of migration violations, if applicable
  • Current or expired US visas
  • Medical examination document

In the following tables, we will discuss which documents for a marriage Green Card are required for each of the most common forms and who must submit them to the United States government. The good news is that you can process your application for a Green Card by marriage, while you gather the requested documents. You don't need every one of them to get started! If you can't find certain documents, check out our detailed guide on how to obtain hard-to-find immigration documents.

Want a FREE downloadable checklist of the documents you need?

Enter your email below to get a copy!

Get the checklist

Do you want to apply for a Green Card by marriage? Boundless can get you the best and fastest help to gather all the necessary forms and documents and submit them to the government. Get started today!

Not sure what documents you need?

Get a personalized checklist

Get a checklist | Find out what we do for you.

Boundless, for people who want the experience of
an immigration attorney, but not the price.

How To Become A Florida Resident 

Family Sponsorship Form (I-130)

To complete the Family Sponsorship Form, or Form I-130 (officially called the “Petition for Alien Relative”), you must provide the following documents:


Document Type Examples of accepted documents Who needs it?
proof of US citizenship
  • US birth certificate
  • valid US passport
  • naturalization certificate
  • citizenship certificate
  • Consular report of birth abroad
Sponsoring spouse who is a US citizen
Proof of status as a green card holder (permanent resident)
  • Residence card
  • A passport issued in another country and stamped for temporary residence in the United States
Spouse sponsor who is a green card holder (permanent resident)
valid proof of marriage
  • Marriage Certificate Please
    also, provide as many of the following as possible:
    • joint rental agreement
    • Joint Bank Account Statements
    • Photographs of the couple together
Both husbands
Proof of dissolution of a previous marriage, if any
  • divorce papers
  • Death certificate of a previous spouse
  • Marriage nullity certificate
Both husbands
Proof of name change, if any
  • Marriage certificate (usually sufficient)
  • Court order for a name change
  • adoption papers
Both husbands

Do you have questions about the eligibility of a Green Card by marriage? Boundless can guide you through the entire marriage green card application process and answer any questions you may have. Get started today!

Green Card Application Form (I-485)

To complete the Green Card Application Form, or Form I-485 (also called “Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status”), the spouse applying for a green card from within the United States must provide the following: documents.


Document type Examples of accepted documents
proof of nationality
  • Birth certificate issued in another country
  • Passport issued in another country
Proof of entry and legal status in the United States The following two documents are required:

  • US visa
  • I-94 Check-In/Out
Records of previous interactions with law enforcement officers, if applicable,
  • Judicial, police, or prison records
Records of previous immigration violations, if any
  • deportation document

With Boundless, you get the confidence of an independent immigration attorney who will review all of your materials and answer any questions you have, at no additional cost. Learn more today!

Processes and Procedures for Permanent Residence

Each category of the permanent resident card has different steps and procedures to follow. Read the following general processes and procedures to learn how to apply for permanent residence, whether you are in the United States (known as “adjustment of status”) or outside the United States (known as “consular processing”).

page title Summary
Permanent Resident Card Eligibility Categories

Determine if you are eligible to obtain permanent resident status. Review the eligibility requirements before applying for your permanent resident card.

Adjustment of Status

Adjusting your status to permanent resident is the process used by immigrants to obtain a permanent resident card while in the United States. 

consular procedure Consular processing is the method immigrants use to obtain permanent residence when they are outside the United States or when they are not eligible to adjust their status in the United States.
Joint Presentation

If you are applying for permanent residence through a job, family, or as a special immigrant, you will need someone to file a petition for you. Joint filing or joint processing is generally carried out when the immigrant petition is filed at the same time as the application to obtain a permanent resident card. Find out what the joint filing is and which are the categories eligible to process requests in this way.

Visa Availability and Priority Dates Generally, a visa must be available before you can apply for permanent residence. For certain categories, there are always visas available, while for others there is only a limited number. Priority dates are assigned to immigrants on the visa waiting list and determine when a visa is available. Find out how to find out if a visa is available for you.
Travel Document Learn more about if and when you can travel outside of the United States after applying for or once you have a permanent resident card. You can also learn how to apply for advance parole, a refugee travel document, and a re-entry permit.
Employment Authorization Documentation 

Find out if you are eligible for US Employment Authorization and how to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

 Immigration Medical Exam Most applications for permanent residency require you to have a medical exam. Find out who needs to get a medical exam, as well as the specific forms and procedures to follow when going in for a medical exam.
Affidavit of Economic Sponsorship An Affidavit of Support is a form that a sponsor submits on your behalf when you apply for a permanent resident card or immigrant visa. It is required for most (but not all) categories of immigrants before immigrants can become permanent residents of the United States. The purpose of the form is to determine if you have the financial means to live in the United States without the need for financial aid or benefits from the US government.
Public Charge

To obtain a permanent resident card, most immigrants must prove that they will not become a public charge. Learn more about what a Public Charge is.

Child Status Protection Act Your age may determine if you are eligible to obtain permanent residence as a “minor”. The Child Status Protection Act, sometimes known as the CSPA, allows certain children who have ceased to be minors (reached age 21 or older) after filing their immigration petition, they may still be eligible for permanent residence through their parents.
Transfer of the Underlying Basis

Occasionally, an applicant for adjustment of status prefers to have their pending application considered under a different immigrant category. For more information on transfers, see the USCIS Policy Manual.

To transfer the basis of your pending adjustment of status application to a different eligibility category, you generally must submit a written request to the USCIS office that has jurisdiction over the application. USCIS has also established a new location that you will need to use to submit petitions under the employment-based categories. See the Permanent Resident Card for Employment-Based Immigrants, Underlying Base Transfer page.





Welcome to WriteUpCafe Community

Join our community to engage with fellow bloggers and increase the visibility of your blog.
Join WriteUpCafe