QuickBooks is an incredible accounting software, which is super easy to set up, install, and use. Besides, you can master the core competencies of your business account, thanks to its stunning accounting features. The simple, yet engaging interface of the program ensure a great user experience. However, an annoying technical error can ruin your experience, when you see QuickBooks not responding error message on your screen. This error means, you may not be able to proceed with an ongoing task with the QuickBooks software and you need to fix this issue in order to resume your regular accounting tasks. Struggling with a QuickBooks error? Follow this post until the end.
What is QuickBooks Not Working Issue?
When working with QuickBooks, you may get an abrupt error message – QuickBooks not opening or other instances of a similar error. The window generates an error message that states:
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, or Windows is checking for a solution to the problem.
Some other instances of this error are:
- QuickBooks not responding when opening a company file.
- QuickBooks open but not showing.
- QuickBooks POS freezes after login.
- QuickBooks not responding after login.
These are some common issues related to the opening or working with QuickBooks. If you want to eliminate this issue, it is crucial to know the possible reasons behind the error in the first place.
Why QuickBooks Has Stopped Working?
If you are facing an error when opening the QuickBooks company file or the program itself, multiple factors can evoke this error. Some of the main reasons are mentioned in the below-given list:
- When the company file name exceeds its maximum limit.
- QBWUSER.INI file is damaged or missing.
- Your corrupt hard drive can also bring forth errors when opening QuickBooks.
- Damaged or improper installation of QuickBooks or missing program files.
- Incomplete installation of QuickBooks.
- If your Windows operating system is damaged, you may get the error.
Common Signs That Indicate QuickBooks Not Working Issue
When the error occurs, you may experience the below-given symptoms:
- QuickBooks Desktop becomes unresponsive towards the inputs from your mouse or keyword.
- The system starts performing sluggishly.
- QuickBooks crashes when opening your company file.
- The program stops while loading the dashboard on the screen.
- The Windows application loads slower than its normal speed.
Things to Keep in Mind Before You Start Troubleshooting the Error
The anomalous behaviour of the QuickBooks software can be fixed using a few simple steps. However, to prevent any hassle, you need to consider the below-listed points before getting started:
- Check for the latest maintenance release and update QuickBooks to the latest available version.
- Verify that your company file name does not include the maximum character limit, which is 35 characters including space.
- Login to your account as an administrator before you start the troubleshooting.
- Add QuickBooks to the exception list of your anti-virus application.
- Utilize Clean Install Too to reinstall QuickBooks software.
After performing these useful steps, if you are still getting the error, let’s jump to the error resolution process.
Solution 1: Run Fix My Program Utility
Below are the steps to get the job done:
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub from Intuit’s legit website.
- Save the downloaded file on your system.
- Now go to the download location and double-click the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Next, install the tool by following the on-screen instructions and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- Once the QuickBooks Tool Hub is installed, open it.
- Now from within the tool, select Company File Issues.
- After that, select the Fix My Program utility to resolve the issue.
Wait until it finishes the task. If the error continues, try the next solution.
Solution 2: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
QuickBooks install diagnostic tool is an important tool in the program that identified the corruption or damage from within the software. It can diagnose a partial or damaged installation of the software and resolves QuickBooks not working error automatically. This tool can also be accessed from the QuickBooks Tool Hub. After using the tool, if the error persists, jump to the next solution.
Solution 3: Rename QBWUSER.ini File
The error can be sometimes related to a missing/damaged QBWUSER.in file. Renaming the file can resolve the issue. Follow the below-given steps carefully:
- Navigate to the folder containing the QBWUSER.ini file.
- Once you locate the file, right-click on it.
- Next, select Rename from the drop-down list.
- Now add .old at the end of the file name to change it to QBWUSER.ini.old.
If this solution resolves the issue, perform your pending accounting tasks. If not, try the next solution.
Solution 4: Install QuickBooks Component Repair Tool
Windows components, such as .NET Framework and MSXML are crucial for the smooth installation of the QuickBooks program. When damaged, you may not be able to install QuickBooks properly. However, the QuickBooks component repair tool can fix the damaged windows components much needed for the error resolution. Follow the below-given steps:
- Download and install the QuickBooks component repair tool in the first place.
- After that, save the downloaded file on the local desktop.
- Moving ahead, close all the active windows.
- Finally, run the tool to perform its task.
Once the tool finishes the task, check if the error is fixed or not.
In the End
The solutions described in this post can bring the QuickBooks back to normal if you are getting errors when opening the program. Perform the solutions carefully to get rid of the error. If you find it difficult to use the steps, give us a call on our QuickBooks error helpline number and get immediate help from our experienced QuickBooks professionals.