What does one mean by building high quality products? You may think it means those products that are built with high quality raw materials. But, is that all? The answer is no. High quality products neither means those products that begin with the installation of the best quality raw materials, nor do they mean those that are tested at the end to ensure the standards accomplished. In fact, building high quality products means those products that have quality built into them at every step of the manufacturing process.
Quality assurance or quality control?
Before getting into the details of building high quality products, you must understand the difference between quality assurance and quality control. If you think that the terms are one and the same thing, you are absolutely wrong. While the terms may seem synonymous, there are certain differences between the two.
Quality assurance is a way of preventing mistakes and defects in manufactured products, and avoiding problems when delivering products to customers. This is what ISO 9000 defines as part of quality management focused on providing confidence that quality requirements will be fulfilled. Quality control, on the other hand, is the detection of defects and rejection, focusing on quality earlier in the process. Thus, quality assurance is more focused on the process, while quality control focuses on the products. A manufacturer is reliable and worth joining hands with when they are able to incorporate both quality assurance and quality control into their processes.
How can quality be instilled in every step?
- First, the drawing received from the customer is reviewed well. Then, the manufacturer and client are supposed to sit together and work out the idea. This helps the manufacturer become familiar with the customer’s thoughts; and the customer to understand the mindset of the manufacturer, which helps them exchange ideas and consider what is right and wrong in the drawing. If any aspect of the drawing raises a concern, it should be addressed immediately.
- Once everything is clear, a list of the necessary components is made, and the Bill of Materials is formulated. Once the quote is accepted by the customer, the order is finalized, after which the components required are bought and brought together. Every component needs to be thoroughly checked to ensure that every item is ready for assembling.
- Next, the assembling part is begun; and every step of the way, the work is double-checked. Every person in the production life cycle should check his own work, but this is not all. Each person also needs to do a quality check of the step preceding his own work to ensure that their contribution to the assembly process is building on a solid foundation.
- Finally, in the quality control check, the finished good are reviewed and it is confirmed that the components listed on the BOM are what are actually used in the assembly process.
- By following this process, the product built is of the finest quality, conforming to the design decided, and to ensure that the product is of exceptional quality, and will perform as expected.
Miracle Electronics is one such wire harness manufacturer in India that produces products which are certified and approved by DGAQA and MSQAA; so you can imagine the quality of their products. Also, every wire harness is tested for dimension, weight, continuity, environmental compliance, HiPot, and Pull tests.