Chronic diseases are those that can be controlled with on-going treatments. They are defined as those illnesses that last for a year or more, and which limit our day to day activities.
Chronic diseases include:
- Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Heart Diseases.
- Osteoporosis; and many more.
The major causes of these diseases have been found to be:
- Smoking or tobacco use, or inhalation of second-hand smoke.
- Excessive use of alcohol.
- Poor eating habits and poor nutrition.
- Insufficient physical activity.
Doctors in Mt Gravatt and other areas around the country recommend certain lifestyle changes in order to prevent chronic diseases, which have very long term effects and can be very costly to treat. These preventive methods include:
- Don’t smoke – Don’t start smoking, or if you already are a smoker, quit today. Smoking causes heart disease, lung disease, cancer, respiratory diseases and is a major cause of premature death.
- Eat healthy – Eating healthy can prevent many diseases. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grain, lean meats and low fat dairy products, and stop eating excessively fatty and salty food which causes obesity, heart diseases and many more.
- Be physically fit – Regular exercises such as biking or brisk walking are great ways of staying fit and healthy.
- Avoid excessive use of alcohol – Excessive cause of alcohol causes heart disease, stroke, liver damage, high blood pressure and many other illnesses. Use alcohol in moderation if you want to stay healthy.
- Sleep well – Get at least 7 hours of sleep per day, as your body needs time to rest and recuperate. Insufficient sleep can cause depression, obesity, diabetes and many more diseases.
- Family history – Know your family history because if you have a family history of chronic diseases, it is highly likely that you may be at risk yourself.
- Screening – Visit your doctor regularly and get yourself screened to prevent chronic diseases. For example, since Australians are at high risk for skin cancer, getting a regular skin cancer check in Mt. Gravatt or anywhere close to you is a great way to start.