Children shouldn’t be burdened with illness and disease, they should be free to enjoy life and have fun doing it. Many children these days suffer from obesity and diabetes and other such diseases because of the busy lifestyles that families lead. Parents are busy working, children are busy studying, and because of these busy lifestyles, people have gotten used to things that are making both them and their children sick.
What can we do to improve our children’s health?
First of all, we should remember that these practices shouldn’t be followed just by children, but by adults as well, because children follow by example. If parents live a healthy lifestyle, then so will the children. Many children’s doctors in Mt Gravatt and other areas of the country recommend that parents join their children in healthy daily activities.
- Eat healthily – Include more fruits and vegetables into food as these are rich in immune-boosting nutrients which help the immune system to effectively fight diseases. Eating more vegetables and fruits can also prevent diseases such as cancer and heart problems.
- Exercise – Exercise is needed by children as well, and they constantly need to keep moving around to stay healthy. Family exercises such as biking, hiking, or jogging can be a lot of fun as well as good for everyone’s health.
- Sleep – Children need between 10 and 16 hours of sleep per day, depending on their age.
- Limiting device and sedentary screen time – less than 1 hour per day for the 2-5s and less than 2 hours per day for the 5 -17-year-olds.
- Avoid second-hand smoke – Second-hand smoke causes many respiratory diseases in children. Protect them from second-hand smoke as much as possible.
- Clean teeth – Children have beautiful smiles, and you can keep that smile looking great with good oral health. Children should brush their teeth for two minutes, twice a day to maintain good oral health and to reduce cavities and infections.
- Clean hands – Hand hygiene is very important to stop the spread of diseases. Teach children how to clean their hands properly, especially after being out in public areas.
- Express their feelings – Children’s mental health is very important as well. They should be able to express their feelings, whatever those may be, freely, in order to reduce the stress they may be feeling within them.
There are many clinics that provide services in child health in Mt Gravatt and other areas, where you can get more information on good health habits for children.