Gone are the days when we had to spend lots of time searching for a particular file, document, app, photo, and other data stored on our Mac. Finding a specific doc or file can be a pain, but thankfully, we have the Spotlight search feature, which was introduced in macOS. It has made the search procedure easier than before. Now, you can quickly search any of the files, photos, apps, or documents in just a few seconds over the screen. This service is also available on macOS Big Sur.
If you are searching for complete instructions that could guide you on how to search your desired file, photos, or app right on your Mac, then you need not wait any more. To know more about the steps, follow these straightforward guidelines:
What Spotlight Can Search For You On Mac
Spotlight Search is a convenient and easily accessible tool to find available stuff on a compatible device, including Mac. It first indexes your hard drive’s contents to make it easier to search documents, apps, emails, contacts, music, apps, and other data. It also helps the users to find the desired web-based info and can easily perform several equations.
Steps to Access and Use Spotlight Search on macOS
Here is how to access and use Spotlight Search directly on your Mac:
- Firstly, tap the Spotlight search panel located at the menu bar. It appears like a magnifying glass. You can also use these two keys in combination for the same task: Cmd and Spc on your keyboard. You can find the Spotlight search bar in the middle of your display.
- Enter in your search query and wait for a moment. You will get your desired result via the resulting list.
- In case, Spotlight search isn’t searching you are looking for; you can easily manage and customize its search results to optimize what you want. You can also exclude your hard disk’s particular location to avoid Spotlight’s searching info you like to keep confidential.
Steps to Customize Spotlight Search Results on Mac
Follow these guidelines to know how to customize Spotlight Search Results on your device:
- Get started by tapping the Apple icon located at the upper-left edge of your display.
- Then, press the System Preferences section.
- Hit the Spotlight option there.
- Tick the mark-box beside the type for customizing what Spotlight displays on your screen. In case it has the mark-box, those results will be displayed automatically. If it doesn’t, the relevant results will not show up on your screen.
Steps to Hide Contents from Spotlight Search
If you have kept something secret on your device and don’t want the Spotlight to go and search in that section, then follow these instructions to hide the contents:
- Initially, press the Apple icon located at the upper-left edge of your screen.
- Then, press the option System Preferences.
- Now, tap the Spotlight option there.
- Hit the Privacy tab.
- Select the add button. It resembles a plus icon.
- Choose the item you don’t want the Spotlight to search for.
- Now, you have to select the Choose option.
- If you want to add additional items into the hide section, then repeat the above steps.
Spotlight Search is one of the best ways to quickly search for an item you are looking for on your Mac. You can even get detailed flight information if you are using High Sierra on your device. To get started, go to the menu bar and then hit the Spotlight search panel to search your desired file or document.