The peppermint is an aromatic herb of the mint family which is basically a cross between the spearmint and watermint. This is a herb which is known to be native to Asia and Europe and has been used by people for thousands of years for its very pleasant taste with a pinch of mint, and obviously a lot of health benefits. Peppermint is generally used as a flavouring in the mouth or to breathe mints, candies and some other foods.
In addition to this, a lot of people also consume it as a refreshing and caffeine free tea. The leaves of peppermint actually contain many essential oils, which includes menthone, menthol and limonene. Tea is considered to be one of the best ways to consume peppermint as there are a lot of peppermint tea benefits which helps to improve the overall health of a person. And so to help you get an idea of these benefits, we got everything covered in this article below.
As you scroll down, you will find out complete details about the benefits of peppermint tea to our health. So just keep reading below to check out all the information.
Details of the best peppermint tea benefits
There are a lot of benefits of consuming peppermint tea to the overall health, details of some of which are as follows-
1 . It might help to ease the digestive issues- Peppermint is considered to relieve the symptoms of digestion, such as bloating, gas or indigestion. A lot of animal studies also showed that the peppermint helps to relax the symptoms of digestion and in easing pain. It also helps in preventing the smooth muscles from contractions, which could actually relieve spasms in the gut.
In a review done on 14 clinical trials of nearly 2000 children, it was observed that peppermint reduced the length, frequency and severity of the abdominal pain.
In addition to this, some other studies also showed that the scent of the oil of peppermint drops can reduce the incidence of vomiting, nausea and so decrease the severity of nausea in those people who are undergoing chemotherapy.
Thus, while no such study claims the effectiveness of peppermint tea benefits on digestion, it is definitely possible that the tea could have the similar effects and results.
2. It might help to relieve migraines and tension headaches- As peppermint acts as a pain reliever and muscle relaxant, it might also diminish some types of headaches. The menthol present in peppermint actually increases the flow of blood and provides a sensation of cooling, which helps to ease the pain.
It was found in one study that people with migraines got relief after peppermint oil was applied to their forehead, and significantly also reduced pain in almost 2 hours, compared to medicines and placebo.
One more study found that using peppermint oil drops in the nose also reduces the frequency and intensity of the headache and could be used as a pain reliever.
So, while the aroma of peppermint tea benefits and might help to improve headaches like migraine and can act as a muscle relaxant, there is no strong evidence to confirm this effect of tea. However, applying peppermint oil can definitely help.
3. It might also help to get relief from clogged sinuses– Peppermint contains antiviral, anti inflammatory and anti bacterial properties in it. And due to all these, the peppermint tea is known to alleviate the clogged sinuses because of common cold, cough and allergies.
It is demonstrated in some research that menthol, which is one of the key compounds of the peppermint, has the ability to improve the perception of the airflow in the nasal cavity. Thus, steam coming from the peppermint tea could help you feel the same and make your breathing easier.
Additionally, some warm liquids like tea and chicken broth have also shown to improve the symptoms of sinus congestion, temporarily, such as that of runny nose, sore throat and cough.
4. Peppermint tea might improve energy- This is also one of the peppermint tea benefits. It might also help to reduce fatigue and improve the energy levels in humans. Even though there is no such study done on peppermint tea for this effect, some research showed that the natural compounds which are present in peppermint might have some beneficial effects on the energy levels.
Even in one of the studies conducted, 20 young and healthy people experienced less mental fatigue during a cognitive test when they were given capsules of peppermint oil.
5. It helps in relieving menstrual pain- As peppermint acts as a relaxant of muscles, it is considered that its tea might also help to get relief from menstrual cramps. Even though the peppermint tea has not been studied to this extent yet, the compounds that are present in peppermint have been shown to certainly improve the symptoms of it.
Even in some studies done, it was observed that peppermint tea was as beneficial as a non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug in reducing the duration and effectiveness of the menstrual pain.
And so in addition to all the peppermint tea benefits, it is also very easy to add it in your routine diet, as it is quite delicious. You can actually buy it in tea bags, as loose tea or can grow your own peppermint tea. And to make a tasty peppermint tea, all you need to do is-
- Bring two cups of water to get boiled.
- Then turn off the heat and add some torn leaves of peppermint to the water.
- Cover this and wait for 5 minutes.
- Now, just strain the tea and drink it.
And because peppermint tea is a naturally free of caffeine drink, you can literally have it at any time of the day. So just enjoy it in the afternoon to boost up your energy levels or as the post meal treat to help in digestion, or simply before going to bed to help get your body relaxed.
Thus, this is complete information about the peppermint tea benefits to our overall health. And so if you have not tried or consumed it yet, then you should definitely do it!