It is no wonder that sealants are necessary for the construction of various building areas. They are apt materials for both residential and commercial environments and prevent water, air, dust, and other fluids and substances from entering surfaces like joints. The smallest openings that even cement mortar or concrete couldn’t fill can be filled by using sealants.
Different types of sealants such as acrylic, silicone, mastic, and polysulphide sealant are there, available in a thick form, and are applied using either a gun spray or simply pouring. In the following article, we are going to learn how they are applied to fill bathroom joints, holes or openings.
Steps To Apply Sealants In Bathrooms
1. Applying Sealant To A Shower
- Make sure the shower area including walls and tray is dry and free from dust particles.
- Pick the right aperture size on the spray equipment to ensure that the gap between the tray and tiles can be properly filled.
- Cut the nozzle to at least a 5 mm hole or depending upon the application.
- Apply the sealant with continuous pressure and movement in the required area and make sure there are no gaps left.
- Then wipe off the extra sealant, if any.
- Smoothen the sealant in the same direction using a smoothing tool.
- Leave it for drying for at least 24 hours.
2. Applying Sealant Around The Bath
- Clean the bath area and then put masking tape around the grout line in 2 straight lines. The masking tape will keep the boundaries straight.
- Cut the nozzle of the applier to at least a 5 mm hole.
- Fill the sealant in the gun spray and then put the tip in the starting position.
- To ensure a smooth and straight line, apply continuous pressure.
- Use a smoothing tool to smooth the grout.
- Remove the tape before the sealant dries and then wipe off the excess solution.
- Allow it to dry for at least 48 hours.
So we read that although sealants are easy to apply, the personnel should be careful to get the maximum output. Well, an effective application also depends on the right quality sealing material, that one can source from IWL India. Visit the website to explore polysulphide sealants and also a wide range of other construction materials like waterproofing, zinc rich primer, epoxies, paints, adhesives, pipe wrapping tapes, etc.